Parts people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uberwagon

Car
1991 500E
Is any parts guru able to get me a part which my local dealership wont get for me?

It's a non cat exhaust system for a 500E.

Dave!

Is it because he cannot find a part number because you have no VIN to give him of a decat version of 500 ?

Will there be a facility to fit your lambda probe into a non cat front pipe ?

Do you want a non cat pipe because your cat has expired/broken, or for some other reason ?

If I have a pipe made up it will mean having the car transported to and from the garage who makes it. I am not in the UK much so my time home is very prescious to me.

The dealership have the VIN etc but say they cannot track any none uk parts on their system. The new people at the parts counter are not as helpful as the previous 2 guys.

The Lambda issue is not a problem, I have bosses already. My Cats are fine but the pipe itself is damaged after the exhaust was hit by a parking numpty, sadly all 3 sections have damage :(

Dave!

has anyone done this already, removed cats or had a stainless system made, if so wondering if theres any noticeable increase in peformance or any other differences. who would you guys recommend for a stainless system.
thanks gerry

Hayward and Scott quoted me 3300 for a full system including manifolds and ceramic coating for them.

I think a cat replacement system but not the downpipes was around 1200.

I've seen other one off systems and it depends on who makes it as to whether it's a barry boy sounding pile of crap or a well designed system.

Dave!

Urberwagon

You have not said why you want a new cat.

If car has failed emissions test then just by changing Lambda probes it should solve the problem.

I have looked up the Mercedes parts and your front pipes and cats is expensive at around £1900 price (retail), but you should get a discount and an allowance for the return of original (precious metals) cat which Mercedes recycle.

In fact listed for your car is a proper Mercedes reconditioned front pipe and cat assembly but I cannot see a price for it. You may want to enquire at your Mercedes parts dept as they should be able to get that for you.

You say you gave your VIN to parts dept BUT the guys cannot get a non cat part list from that, you need to give them a VIN for a non cat car.

I can see a part number listed for the non cat car but no price comes up against that part so may be superceeded by a new part number hence the reason why you need to give VIN for non cat car.

Are you not on a forum for 500E cars and ask a member with a non cat car for his VIN number to check out the latest part number. Once the parts people have identified the correct part number they can get any part for any Mercedes car in the world.

There are no running issues with the car and the Cats are working fine. I've had some damage to the exhaust from an idiot parker and have been meaning to remove the cats for improved performance, noise etc for quite a while. One member I trust has a cat replacement pipe made and he has a small improvement n economy and a nicer noise, all important when owning a thirsty V8 :eek:

My car doesn't need a Cat in it for the MOT and i'll be keeping the original anyway.

I'm a member of 500ecstasy but there have been many discussions about this part but not much happening. People have generally had their own systems made up and i've been pretty unimpressed by them.

With mechanical parts I have a bit of an OCD so a genuine cat replacement part would be nice. From what I can gather from reading various posts the exhaust system never changed through the life of the car, so even if a part were superceded it should be the same fitment?

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom