Parts started to go brittle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alberthyc

Car
GL63 AMG
Hi, is it just me or some of your engine hoses or plastic parts start to turn brittle after many years of ownership. Mine is turning bad and oil leaks everywhere.

Hi, is it just me or some of your engine hoses or plastic parts start to turn brittle after many years of ownership. Mine is turning bad and oil leaks everywhere.

Yes, it does happen. Vacuum hoses are mostly affected.

Ask a BMW owner. Famed for brittle plastic all over which makes them a nightmare to own as they get older!

Wait till you try a jaguar/landrover tdv6, the inlet manifolds fall apart on those.

Wait till you try a jaguar/landrover tdv6, the inlet manifolds fall apart on those.
Unlikely to happen any time soon. I have a healthy scepticism related to JLR products and quality. Can’t see my ever going that way!

It's he nature of the beast, rubber has always aged badly, now cheaper plastics are joining in, not surprising when you look at the conditions they live in.

I felt a bit guilty as I swapped out all the hoses on my Alfa (21 this year) to silicon hoses. The originals were actually fine and still supple. They fetch a pretty penny but I can’t bring myself to sell them so they’re now cluttering up the garage! Mind boggles!

A trick my dad thought me many years ago when hoses popped for fun was to paint them with wax oil (Finnegans), never had a problem since.
Never found out how it works though and too late to ask dad.

I've been known to wipe them down with olive oil, same effect but you have to get in early.

Do aggressive cleaning chemicals contribute to the deterioration?

I would have thought so, they dry out the rubber. As for plastics ? no hope.

Late hear but a thing I do is spray all rubber hoses & Roof(Convetible) seals , doors anything rubber that may harden & in roof casess "Squeak" that drives me insane is too spray liberally with Spray used for keeping the seal on Camping toilets...buy at "Go Camping" not expensive at all....

Last edited:
Late hear but a thing I do is spray all rubber hoses & Roof(Convetible) seals , doors anything rubber that may harden & in roof casess "Squeak" that drives me insane is too spray liberally with Spray used for keeping the seal on Camping toilets...buy at "Go Camping" not expensive at all....
Halfords also sell similar. Perfect for keeping door and window seals in good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom