PAS pump ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryan Allman

SUPPORTER
Car
SLK55 (R172) 62.
I have noticed a whirring noise which can only be heard after a few minutes of driving and is particularly noticeable when manoeuvring at low speed. In the past week it has got pretty loud but I can't see any other effects.

Any ideas/suggestions?

It could be the PAS pump. Is the level good? Is there any air bubbles in the resevoir?

The super charger can whine a bit too.

We had a whine on our ML - only occasional - and the dealer didn't find the cause. Turned out to be the PAS fluid. It was just inside the acceptable range, but topping it up solved the problem.

I had to take the engine cover off to get to the reservoir on the ML, which may be the case for your car, and hence being unable to see it at first glance.

Thanks for all the advice guys - having checked the PAS fluid level (not even registering on the dip stick !!) and nipped over to MB Guildford for the correct fluid - all whirring and whining noises have stopped :)

All power to the forum :)

Not wishing to put a downer on matters, but you may wish to have a quick look underneath to see if you can see why the reservoir might have lost the fluid to start with.

Or at least monitor the level for a few weeks to see if it starts to go down again.

Not that I am trying to scare you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom