Passed my PPL!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgtbob

Car
1999 T C230K
Just thought i would let you all know, (as i am absoloutly over the moon!!), that i passed my PPL (Private Pilots Liscence) on the weekend!
I have been working towards it for over a year, competing nealy 50 hours flying and 7 ground school exams. Had my final "skill test" on the weekend and passed, so i am now officially a pilot!! (well after i have sent off all the paper work to the CAA!)

Hopefully be able to post a picture of me and said aircraft later as i am heading to the flying school later today to fill out some paperwork.

Anyhoo, just thought id spread my good news, and anyone who fancies a pleasure flight around the NW area any time soon, just drop me a line!

Rob.

Well done and congratulations. :)

Always fancied having a go at flying. Never seem to have any time!!!:eek:

Mark.

Congrats & Well done but no buzzing Blackpool Tower !!!!!

Many congratulations!

I've had a lifelong interest in aviation - done a little gliding and a little GA, got 3 hours on a 747 simulator, and been winched into a Sea King :D

Mostly just fly r/c models now though.

My uncle (who I used to fly models with) got his PPL last year at the age of 70!

Well done.
I passed mine 3 years ago, and have been saving like mad to buy my own Plane.

Yes Congratulations.

Well done mate from an ex PPL/ATPL.

NOTAM:
Issued 10.03.09 @ 1459 effective ad infinitum.

You must visit Sherburn-in Elmet.;)

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Portzy.

Thanks guys!

Yes its been a lot of hard work but im glad its all done. I plan on hour building (hence the advert for flights - cost share only tho!) and then doing my Intrument rating and night rating by the end of the year and then onwards and upwards as they say (pun intended!) towards my aerobatics liscence and multi-engined etc. Great to see some aviation interest on here too! Never been to Sherburn in Elmet portzy but if sounds like i might have to take a sortie down there. Jadefox,.....whenever i venture down to the SE!!lol

Rob

I had an IT colleague once who was building hours for an instructors rating, but didn't actually enjoy flying very much (he had been pushed into aviation by RAF pilot dad)!

He used to hire a Cessna at Biggin Hill, then I'd fly it to the Isle of Wight and back (apart from takeoff and landing).

Colleague jacked it all in eventually, and went off to Africa as a missionary!!

Well Mercedes Cosy. A lot of patience with the UK weather systems for one. Completing 45 hours flying, of which at least 10 must be solo. Sitting 7 ground school exams, and obtaining an Aviation RT liscence. Then after all that taking a skill test; similar to the driving test, of 2.5 hours duration to test the whole flying syllabus. Costs vary, and you can purchase in blocks to recieve discounts/savings, but currently about £120/hr, then landing fees of about £7 - £12 each time!lol!
Very much worth it in the end though!!

Rob.

Thats something I keep promising myself I will do one day. There is one company in Caithness offering lessons at Wick which is normally very windy. I was thinking about going to Florida and doing one of those 2 week courses but thats probably very intensive?

A friend of mine did his helicopter PPL and bought a Rotorway helicopter and built it himself. Paid £8000 for the lessons and the helicopter cost £32000 in total. I think he then spent the best part of 2 years building it.

I guess the ultimate is to get a plane afterwards which would be fantastic for holidays.

Well done, I might PM you for more info if you dont mind.

Just a quick point.

Once you have passed the test, then you start to learn the real issues just like driving.

I spend far too many hours telling idiot PPL'ers that a particular east wind on a north south runway, is something they should not try and fly into, then spend a smaller amount of time, removing their aircraft from areas not intended, nor marked, as a runway. You only get told once.

If I can stress this so that you enjoy the experience and not the downsides, but ensure that you fully pre-plan your flights before you decided to check the weather and rush off to the plane. get everything planned, including getting landing fee prices, correct Phone numbers * of every aerodrome you may want to visit, or may have need to land at, and let them know you are coming, passing by, or indeed not going to get to.

* All licensed aerodromes telephone numbers published in UKAIP. Do not, under any circumstances, rely on any information in Pooleys or any other plane flyers guide. they are not updated as often as they should be. Always always check NOTAMS.

And don't forget that staff at these aerodromes have lives to lead too, and are only paid for a certain number of hours. Therefore, if it closes before you want it to, don't get on about it to them. Just enjoy a flight home.

Be very aware that the ANO is law regardless of whether you fly in or out of controlled airspace. The rules of the air regulations are there for a reason. Do not under any circumstances, suggest to the aerodrome operator that as you have a license to fly the plane, that you know best. You WILL come off worse.

I work at an aerodrome (Well 4 as it happens), and we get far too many recreational flyers who really think they are something special.

They have forgot all the training. Don't fall into that line. Raise the bar and you can enjoy flying for what it is.

And I must do a bit of marketing.

http://www.glenforsaairfield.co.uk/1.html

The fly-in takes place bank holiday weekend in May. Last year we got 200 aircraft, and my dulcid tones on the radio.

(A friendly PM gets a free landing fee!! that will save £10-£15)

Today, flying round here would be really good. all the mountain tops have snow on, and we have proper blue sky and scattered cumulus at 3000ft. 8kn winds.

Well done on taking the tests too. Onwards and upwards.

Well done indeed!

Just remember that taking off is optional, but landing is compulsory. Keep the pointy end going forward and enjoy!

Well done,

All the hard work has now paid off. Will we be hearing of your new purchase of a light aircraft soon?

Clive

PS The drumkit is great!

Great news

Can you hire a plane for weekends etc? or do you plan on having a plane share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom