Passenger airbag light comes on when it feels like W215 (child seat deactivation)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Yesterday I had the passenger airbag light coming on for 5-10 mins and off for 5 mins or so. (I had the indication next to the gearbox light up and the SRS indication in the dashboard) however no malfunction is logged in to the indash display.

I think this is not a fault ... as this is meant to happen when you put a child seat ... (it disables the airbag automatically)

However I raised the seat to the highest position and seens loads of colorful cables... which one should I remove or check if it is clippled properly that connects to the weight sensor/ or child seat sensor.

Sounds like possibly a faulty passenger seat sensor, or the wire coming from the sensor being damaged.

The airbag is only disabled if the childseat is fitted with a MB transponder, agree with MBManInKen sounds like the seat sensor.

oh boy.... will this be expensive?
The thing is that I am suspicious.. that a cable become loose when I moved the seat all the way back.... heard a clinking noise.
So I assume noone will know the color of the cable (of the sensor) so I can unplug it and plug it in again.

Yellow.

Should I becareful or follow any instructions before I unplug an replug the yellow cable? I do not want an airbag to setoff in my face :devil::crazy:

Ok does anyone know if I can remove the sensor my self? it seems to be faulty... can I buy the spare part and replace it. At the end of the day I do not want the airbag to be disabled... as I will not put a child seat on the front ever. Not a fan of having children on the front seats.

So I assume noone knows where the sensor is placed ... so I can remove it :-(

Hello my impatient friend.

You actions planned actions are pointless.:crazy: The electronics in your car are far more sophisticated than pulling a cable/fuse would solve any problem.
If there is no obvious problem with a disconnected cable the car belongs to a diagnosis computer, where the problem can be isolated, repaired and the error code erased.

Cheers, Frank

You may trade your car to a W126 alternatively

You actions planned actions are pointless.:crazy: The electronics in your car are far more sophisticated than pulling a cable/fuse would solve any problem.
If there is no obvious problem with a disconnected cable the car belongs to a diagnosis computer, where the problem can be isolated, repaired and the error code erased.

Cheers, Frank

But I thought there were good "human diagnosis computers" present already. If it is the seat sensor, you should get the necessary parts but it does involve some work when disassembling and reassembling the seat.

I did not spend time looking after the part, you should find it here:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=215375&VIN=

Cheers, Frank

W126??? sounds old :eek: same more less with my W124 :D
Well I do know that the car is a moving computer... however it should be possible to isolate a function with a bit of programming if needed. Anyhow I am in the Mercedes Benz dealership now and having a thorough check ... lets see... they are puting it on STAR. (£30 charge... sounds ok)

But I thought there were good "human diagnosis computers" present already. If it is the seat sensor, you should get the necessary parts but it does involve some work when disassembling and reassembling the seat.

I did not spend time looking after the part, you should find it here:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.asp?TP=1&F=215375&VIN=

Tried that but it has only the driver seat assembly... eitherwise I cannot find anything relevant :confused:, lets see if MB finds what is wrong with it.

Tried that but it has only the driver seat assembly... eitherwise I cannot find anything relevant :confused:, lets see if MB finds what is wrong with it.

The table of contents isn't always ideal. From the driver's seat section you can find both left and right seat parts for both left and right hand driven cars.

I'm not sure about this car but the passenger presence sensor or the child seat recognition sensor may be part of the cushion, part number 20.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.633&CT=F&cat=65N&SID=91&SGR=060&SGN=01

bad news I guess ... they plugged in to the star and they have found a fault coe ...(Although there was no malfuntion in the cluster menu) they came out with Faulty Safety Restrain system control unit diagnosed.
£1000 fitted inclusive subject to dismantling & testing once fitted.

Does anyone know where this thing is placed on the car :confused: so I can have a look on the connections...

The thing is with the temperature differences... it will have the warning light come on... and off when it feels like , when I accelerate or break ... so I think it might be a loose connection of the box. (if I find it where it is)

So to recap the passenger airbag next to the gearbox lights up and the SRS warning in the dashboard. (I thought it is normal when the passenger AB is deactivated) but they told me that the SRS (red light in the dashboard) should not come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom