Passenger door lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggies

Car
C180 Elegance 1995
Passenger off side door locking.
If sitting in the rear and open rear door then get out, close door but then it locks.
Only the one door dose this, I have put WD40 on the button, catch, handle but I close the door and it locks again.
The door button is very stiff, have squirted some WD40 down it and twisted it a little.
Anything else I could try?

Did you try oiling the mechanism at number 5 in picture a few times?

B_top.jpg

Dec

Dec am I right in saying number 5 is a child lock?
I did not notice anything there, will give the door a better lock tomorrow.

Its number 5 in below picture, it’s the lock mechanism, to the left of the Yellow arrow... bottom left of below picture.
The long slot in picture 5 is the child lock; it is a lever that’s pushed up or down to engage or disengage the child lock.

Dec

edit; When you get out of the back and shut the door, does the button drop down or does the door lock without the button dropping down?

B_top.jpg

B_bot.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the button is stuck down.
If I open door from inside with chrome handle then close door from out side, it locks.
I climbed in the opposite door and with long nose pliers lifted the black knob up.
Now when I close door I can open it from outside.
Can I unscrew this knob and file it down a little?
This is the knob you can see from outside through window.

Last edited:
It would be best to remove the door card to investigate, remove the items 1 to 5 in picture B above.
When you remove the door card, you will see a plastic vapour sheet covering the inside of the door, if you cut any part of it open, be sure to tape it back up again before reinstalling the door card.

Inside door card below.

D_1.jpg

D_2.jpg

In picture E below, you can see the button on the end of a rod, which is connected to another rod that goes all the way over to the lock mechanism, something might be wrong with these rods, perhaps the are stuck and a little oil might help.
With the door card off, you will be better able to assess what’s going wrong with the button.

E_1.jpg

E_2.jpg

Dec

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom