Passenger heater / ventilation vent removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

parkman1

Car
Mercedes E220: W126 500se; W124 260E
Hi, I started a thread some while ago [last year] about removing the rear passenger heater / ventilation vent in a W211 E220 cdi Avantgarde 2004, four door saloon.

This is the double vent that is on the transmission tunnel between the backs of the front seats, and connected to the centre storage box, and arm rest / phone location.

I had looked at a number of video's and description about how to remove the vent, and everyone says that it is simple when using trim tools. But I have tried to remove the vent several times since last summer and there is no way that mine comes out in the way the video's show, or the descriptions explain.

I suspect that the one in my car is fixed somewhere behind the vent, as there appears to be a screw, or bolt, holding the centre in place. In my car I have the pre-installed Nokia car kit, which is in the central storage box. When you open the storage box the phone cradle takes up most of the box.

When you get the phone cradle out of the storage box there are two little lights located in the rear of the box, but I cannot get the actual storage box out of the centre console. There seems to be this screw, or bolt, connecting to the rear part of the vent, preventing the vent from being removed from the rear seating area of the car.

I read that all you do is slide two trim tools down the side of the vent and you can pull out the complete unit, but that is absolutely not the case, something else is holding the vent unit in place, preventing its removal.

I want to take it out because at sometime the "flutes" in the vent have been damaged, probably by people getting in and out of the rear of the car and pulling their feet over the transmission tunnel. I have a new unit which I bought in Germany for the princely sum of €480 and I want to get it put as every time I look at the rear vent it really annoys me.

If anyone has actually carried out the removal of this rear vent and can tell me how to remove all the pieces to get to the vent, then I would be eternally grateful.

Just one caveat, please don't post with a message saying "it's easy, just slide in the trim tools and pull it out" - sorry, I don't want this. Please post genuine experience on how to do it.

Many thanks, parkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom