Passenger mirror dip in reverse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
Does anyone know if you can get the car coded so that the passenger wing mirror drops to look at the kerb when the car is put in reverse!?

Merc Owner 2B said:
I believe you have to have the memory seats option for that to be able to work

Nuts. I have electric but not memory seats. I know you could code out on witha VAG unit just as long as you had electric mirrors, but I never got it done in the end.

I'm not sure if it will work but try it out anyway

The button that adjusts the side mirrors, put the car in reverse and then press left if nothing happens then press the right.

If it still doesn't do anything then I don't know.

On my SL I had to go through a routine to memorise the tilted position for the mirror.

With that done, and with the left mirror selected, it tilts automatically when reverse is selected.

I think you need memory seats, electric seats is not enough

Our E430 has memory seats.
The mirrors dip when reverse is selected.
I think it works whatever combination of controls is active.

With the engine running select reverse then the passenger side mirror. Adjust the mirror down towards the rear wheel when adjusted just select drive and about 10 sec later the mirror should readjust to its normal position.

Now everytime you select reverse the mirror should move to view the rear wheel.

With the engine running select reverse then the passenger side mirror. Adjust the mirror down towards the rear wheel when adjusted just select drive and about 10 sec later the mirror should readjust to its normal position.

For the benefit of the hard of understanding, as others have already said this only works if you have the memory pack, which for the current range of cars means you have memory seats.

No memory seats = no ability to have the passenger mirror tilt down when reverse is selected.

For the benefit of the hard of understanding, as others have already said this only works if you have the memory pack, which for the current range of cars means you have memory seats.

No memory seats = no ability to have the passenger mirror tilt down when reverse is selected.

Care to explain how my W205's mirror tilts when in reverse even though I don't have memory seats? :D

Nuts. I have electric but not memory seats. I know you could code out on witha VAG unit just as long as you had electric mirrors, but I never got it done in the end.
Ahh, the joys of a cheap cable and a copy of VCDS. The big drawback to switching from Audi to Merc is no equivalent community with Star and zero information about how to get into the works.

I refuse to believe that you have to have memory seats to get what you want unless it is a major difference in the appropriate control module. Unfortunately, there's no-one with enough knowledge to give an accurate answer, just to parrot the official line.

Alfie and Richard at comand.co.uk know what can and can't be done , and frequently do things that Mercedes say can't be done .

Perhaps drop them a line rather than spout on about people parroting the official line ?

Teflonso said:
Ahh, the joys of a cheap cable and a copy of VCDS. The big drawback to switching from Audi to Merc is no equivalent community with Star and zero information about how to get into the works. I refuse to believe that you have to have memory seats to get what you want unless it is a major difference in the appropriate control module. Unfortunately, there's no-one with enough knowledge to give an accurate answer, just to parrot the official line. .

I do wonder if there is a way around it even without having the memory seats. There are so many people around with VAG units that have done things to their own cars or are willing to recode stuff for others. In fact there's a page on Audi-sport.net devoted to all the different VAG codes for vehicles that don't have the required packs or are lower spec'd, such as mirror dip, needle sweep on start up, adjusting DLR function, battery charge indicator, etc. I'm guessing there must be an equivalent device on the market for Mercs.

My wife is using the car this week, so I'll try some of the suggestions posted here on the weekend but I'm not that convinced.

Last edited:

my mate's Audi had this feature, I thought it very handy, I did not think mine had it till I tried amiller81's suggestion. And sure enough it works, I have memory seats btw. Had the car nearly 3 yrs. now, still learning.

No memory seats = no ability to have the passenger mirror tilt down when reverse is selected
As this post is now 5 years old, it’s worth noting that later models (the W205 was, I believe, the first but it now includes others such as the W177 A-Class) now have passenger mirror tilting when reverse is selected even without the memory pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom