Passenger seat will not recline - click from relay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rawhide

Car
2 x 2004 S211 320 CDI
Hi all. I've bought my second Mercedes which is intended for family duty. Its a 2004 E320 CDI which needs some attention but Im happy to get my hands dirty.

The passenger seat all buttons on the door card seem to work except the recline button. It just clicks which I assume is the relay.

Does anyone know the steps to resolve this? All other seat controls work fine.

Do I need to remove the seat and test/replace the motor? Where is the fuse located?

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've got a load of spare seat motors. If it is the motor send me the part number and I'll check and see if I that one.

Thanks for the offer Paul!

Sometimes it is a loose connection under the seat.

If I remove the seat is there risk of an airbag light?

I have taken delivery of an iCarsoft MB2 which I think could reset it.

I've removed mine a couple of times - I just disconnected the battery first. No errors after re installing.

Hi all. I've bought my second Mercedes which is intended for family duty. Its a 2004 E320 CDI which needs some attention but Im happy to get my hands dirty.

The passenger seat all buttons on the door card seem to work except the recline button. It just clicks which I assume is the relay.

Does anyone know the steps to resolve this? All other seat controls work fine.

Do I need to remove the seat and test/replace the motor? Where is the fuse located?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi is the seat moves at all?

Thanks - ive not tried thia for a while. The seats move all directions except recline. I will check the rear fuses but i did think there was only one fuse per seat.

Thanks - ive not tried thia for a while. The seats move all directions except recline. I will check the rear fuses but i did think there was only one fuse per seat.

There is procedure of reseting all seat movements functions and you repite this im just by using different swich option. I cant guarrante it will help ok.....so check fuses any way if they ok then do this.TURN IGNITION TO POSITION 2, OPEN FULLY WINDOWS GET OUT FROM CAR HOLD THE BUTTON FROM RECLINING OPTION WHEN SEAT STARTS MOVE HOLD UN TILL REACH MAXIMUM AJUSTMENT KEEP FROM THAT MOMENT 3 SEC THEN PUSH BUTTON IN THE REVERS POSITION TO THE THE END WHEN SEAT REACH END HOLD 3 SEC.FROM THIS POINT ALL SOULD WORK FOR YOU. IF SEAT STUCK THIS MEAN THAT YORS YORS SWITCH IS BROKEN AND YOU CAN STILL RESET BY USING MEMORY SEAT OPTION. BUT U THEN NEED GET NEW SWITCH GOOD LUCK

There is procedure of reseting all seat movements functions and you repite this im just by using different swich option. I cant guarrante it will help ok.....so check fuses any way if they ok then do this.TURN IGNITION TO POSITION 2, OPEN FULLY WINDOWS GET OUT FROM CAR HOLD THE BUTTON FROM RECLINING OPTION WHEN SEAT STARTS MOVE HOLD UN TILL REACH MAXIMUM AJUSTMENT KEEP FROM THAT MOMENT 3 SEC THEN PUSH BUTTON IN THE REVERS POSITION TO THE THE END WHEN SEAT REACH END HOLD 3 SEC.FROM THIS POINT ALL SOULD WORK FOR YOU. IF SEAT STUCK THIS MEAN THAT YORS YORS SWITCH IS BROKEN AND YOU CAN STILL RESET BY USING MEMORY SEAT OPTION. BUT U THEN NEED GET NEW SWITCH GOOD LUCK
Thanks for this. When i hit recline all i hear is a click from some area. However using the memory settings I am seeing one of the settings appears to recline the seat slightly. So this would suggest the motor is good.

Im guessing the switch is the next best thing to try change but Im still wondering what the clicking is? I would assume a bad switch would not make any clicking at all.

I have two identical E320s so likely the easiest test is to swap the seats to test the switch unless the switch is easy to remove.

Hi somethiems motor might sized if you can tapp with with hammer gentle might start work again.....olso check my be there is some pice stack in floor so seat cant get moveing?but i would say switch gone! you can replace easly and buy them cheep as well, go on you tube tape switch replacment you find easly, sorry that my reset didnt help.

Hi,
I had this issue with my 219 CLS55 (same electrics/chassis as a 211), and I thought it was a dodgy motor.
First things first if the seats are memory then you need to get them normalised which is done through STAR, possibly other diagnostic systems as well.
This didn't work with mine as and as it was the fore/aft function that wasn't working the next step was to remove the seat to check/replace the motor.
After removing the seat securing bolts under the seat it was found that a seat connector under the seat had become loose and the pins had partially pulled out of the plug, reseat the pins reconnect and the seat was fixed.
Please be aware one possibly two of the motors on the 219 and 211 seats cannot be replaced in isolation and you have to buy the entire lower seat frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom