passenger wing mirror, stopped dipping down when reversing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
2007 CLK

i haven't altered any settings that i'm aware of, it's just stopped working :confused:

didn't realise how handy it was until it's gone! :(

any ideas guys?

thanks
Abbie

Have you actually gone back into the settings to make sure the setting is still, well, set?

If the setting is there, then you are probably looking at the dreaded brkoen wire syndrome. Does the mirror move in all directions on the adjustment buttons?

Have you got the tiny mirror select ( left or right ) button clicked on 'left'

If i leave mine on 'right' then the mirror doesn't drop ...

The mirror only drops if it is selected.

yes, it's always got the left mirror button clicked in & all movement is ok when doing it on the manual control thingy.

is it from the drivers memory seat being 'set' that it get's it's bearings? or is it something else? i can't remember if it just did it when we had it new or i had to do 'something' to choose the option - my female brain is very similar to a goldfish i think! :D

After reversing does your mirror return to the EXACT position?

I found that on my previous clk and current e class coupe, after reversing the mirror would return back but not the exact position and still be ever so slightly down.
I think it must just be slight slack in the motors? I have given up moving it up slightly after reversing and although I turned this "feature" off on the clk I don't think there is an option to turn this off on my current car.

the motors use 2 rheostat tracks for the memory function - it's not brilliant and connecting to Star shows that the voltages from the rheostats can be all over the place - not a smooth increase/decrease as the motor operates. Cleaning the rheostat tracks helps, along with cleaning and regreasing the motor action.

i am a bit surprised using two unreliable rheostats. i thought MZ might come up with some more accurate digital position encoding for the money they charge for these mirrors.

Our CLK returns to almost the correct position. The SLK is hopeless. Turns down but does not return at all. Have got used to it now.

After reversing does your mirror return to the EXACT position?

I found that on my previous clk and current e class coupe, after reversing the mirror would return back but not the exact position and still be ever so slightly down.
I think it must just be slight slack in the motors? I have given up moving it up slightly after reversing and although I turned this "feature" off on the clk I don't think there is an option to turn this off on my current car.

checked when i was out earlier, mirror returns to previous position exactly. :)

Does this help - procedure to set dip position

MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

This info is just what I need (I don't have the Owners Manual) but the link's broken and I can't find how to set the dip position anywhere on the forum. I also have an odd problem whereby when adjusting both mirrors they refuse to move up (irrespective of whether I use the up or down arrow for either side, they always go down).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom