Passing a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ToeKnee said:
Why is it that cyclists demand a large gap when you overtake them but are happy with less than a 12" gap when the undertake you? :doh:
I'm a cyclist. I don't 'demand' anything.

Why is it that cyclists demand a large gap when you overtake them but are happy with less than a 12" gap when the undertake you? :doh:

Usually the car i'm undertaking is stationary, Likewise demand nowt.

I live in an area where we often have fully organised time trial or racing events for Cyclists on the open public road.

There are marshals at major intersections and the odd sign, but it's not uncommon to be driving along a country lane which is clearly two lanes wide and be faced with an oncoming pack of cyclists on the wrong side of the road travelling at up to 40mph heading directly at your car.

This is insane, this is racing on the public highway on open roads. It's particularly prolific around Hever (near the castle).

I have been held up by cyclists riding in such a large group that they stretched for several hundred yards ahead of me. It would be easier to overtake a tractor/trailer unit. Cyclists should ride with consideration for other road users. Making the group size smaller would help, instead of sprawling for hundreds of yards.

Overtaking one cyclist is easy and safe. Add to that number and it becomes harder, or even dangerous.

Rule of thumb is; we should ALL take responsibility while on the public highway. If our actions compromise other users, we should take note, regardless of our mode of transport.

As a fellow Peterborough resident for the last ten years, I can't say I've noticed any particular issues with cyclists on the roads (on the paths is a different matter!) Perhaps I've just not spotted the two-wheel miscreants because my attention is riveted on the high percentage of motorists who have no idea how to use slip roads on the Parkways, nor have any knowledge of where their indicator stalk is! :wallbash:

Unfortunately, the guilty Cyclists appear to be in the older age groups (60 plus) I suspect that they may not realise that Cycle Paths exist, the A15 between Yaxley and Tesco's is a fine example. School Kids in abundance use the Path that took almost a year to construct, (Road Works and Traffic Light that went on FOREVER) almost every afternoon on my way home there will be some old geezer (other genders are available on request) wobbling along in either direction on the Road! :ban:

As to your comments regarding Slip Roads and Indicators I cannot agree more! :rock:

You all need to visit Denmark and see how cyclists are treated. Like baby gods. It's bizarre at first seeing cars actually waiting to turn right at a junction because a cyclist is about to undertake them. And they don't get angry at cyclists and they are everywhere.

However, I cannot put this solely on better road manners, cycling is embedded in the infrastructure, cycle lanes, ramps, train design, they even prioritise cycle lanes when gritting. It separates the issue and allows both to exist almost harmonious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I live in an area where we often have fully organised time trial or racing events for Cyclists on the open public road.

There are marshals at major intersections and the odd sign, but it's not uncommon to be driving along a country lane which is clearly two lanes wide and be faced with an oncoming pack of cyclists on the wrong side of the road travelling at up to 40mph heading directly at your car.

This is insane, this is racing on the public highway on open roads. It's particularly prolific around Hever (near the castle).

I used to work at RAF Henlow, I sometimes had to work nights, on my way home to Peterborough on a Sunday Morning I often met with a Lycra Clad Cycle Club Racing up the A1 between the Blackcat Roundabout and the Buckden Roundabout and back again! :eek: All apparently legal and sanctioned by the Local Authorities, (not sure about the Constabulary)

As a fellow Peterborough resident for the last ten years... ...because my attention is riveted on the high percentage of motorists who have no idea how to use slip roads on the Parkways, nor have any knowledge of where their indicator stalk is! :wallbash:
Nothing changes, obviously.

I lived in Peterborough for 16 years up to 1999 and learned that drivers in that area rarely use indicators, and when they to it's normally after they've started the manoeuvre, rather than to signal their intention to commence it :doh:

As well as the slip-road antics, my other bugbear was the clowns who move into the right-hand lane of the Parkway at least a mile before the roundabout at which they intend to turn right, and then trundle along at 40mph in a national limit :wallbash:

There really are some things I don't miss about living there :cool:

However, I cannot put this solely on better road manners, cycling is embedded in the infrastructure, cycle lanes, ramps, train design, they even prioritise cycle lanes when gritting. It separates the issue and allows both to exist almost harmonious.
A bit like Holland, then. The physical separation of cycle lanes from motorised transport makes a huge difference both in terms of risk reduction and keeping frustration levels under control. The downside is where there isn't physical separation. Because they're used to being in a segregated environment, large numbers of cyclists seem to have little appreciation of the dangers around them, and there are also a minority who know they are a "protected species" and deliberately create havoc.

By contrast, many cycle way schemes in the UK are deliberately designed to disadvantage the user of motorised transport and create or promote conflict where none needs to exist. The only puzzle to me is why anyone is surprised when tempers flare :rolleyes:

Interesting except the new law specifies the distance you need to be from the cyclist. This distance is further across the road when riding two (or more) abreast. Additionally riding two abreast obscures more of the road ahead making it a more dangerous manouvere for the vehicle driver.

I'm not aware of any new legislation ; as far as I read this , it is just new enforcement of existing laws being carried out in some areas ...

I've seen that argument before, as put forward by a lycra lout. My answer was, why not stay in single file but leave holding spaces between every three or four bikes so cars have the chance to leapfrog a large group?

The roads in the South East are invariably always rammed and whilst we all have a right to use them, we don't have a right to use them selfishly or to make up our own rules....

Section 66
This section explains what cyclists should and should not do when riding on the road.

You should:
Keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear.
Keep both feet on the pedals.
Be considerate of other road users, taking extra care around blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Use your bell when necessary to signal you are nearby.
Ride single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You should not:
Ride more than two abreast.
Ride close behind another vehicle.
Carry anything that will affect your balance or get tangled up in your wheels or chain.

I was about to look up and quote the same section ; can't do it from memory :D

The point I was about to make is that 'you should not ride more than two abreast' does not equate to 'you may ride two abreast whenever and wherever you feel like it , and to hell with the consequences for other road users'

While I cycle myself ( not very often and not much on busy roads precisely because of the danger of being hit ) I do when driving try to give cyclists as much room as possible , but it does greatly irk me when some cyclists ride with zero consideration for others .

Two instances I recall -

One - a number of years ago , on a country road near my home , with barely enough width for two cars to squeeze by , a pair of cyclists insisted on riding two abreast , at about 10 mph , leaving me no room to pass , even on straights when they could easily have dropped into single file , and I had to wait until reaching a junction before there was a little more room to pass them .

More recently , in an urban situation , the road had been divided up from a wide single carriageway into a dual carriageway with a kerbed central reservation down the middle and a designated cycle lane on the left ; the single driving lane just wide enough for a bus or similar . A large group of cyclists , a dozen or more were proceeding slowly along , straddling both the cycle lane and the driving lane , being two abreast ; not wishing to hold back for the half mile or so this continued , I moved as far right as I could ( in the SL with roof down , so I could see exactly the clearance I had , which was a maybe 18" or a couple of feet ) and proceeded to pass slowly , getting verbal abuse from a couple of them , so I just gave it back stating that this was MY bit of the road and theirs was clearly marked , and that if it causes inconvenience to other road users they should be in single file . It was never going to be accepted as they obviously know better , so I just carried on .

You all need to visit Denmark and see how cyclists are treated. Like baby gods. It's bizarre at first seeing cars actually waiting to turn right at a junction because a cyclist is about to undertake them. And they don't get angry at cyclists and they are everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same in Belgium

It is embedded in our culture to be anti-cyclist. Some people exhibit a real hatred for people that they have never met, do not know and never will know. All because they choose to ride a bike. Immediately they get hold of the handlebars they become "f'ing menace" or an "idiot" in the eyes of some drivers. One wonders, were it their brother, sister, mother or father or child! Would they modify their thinking?

brucemillar said:
It is embedded in our culture to be anti-cyclist. Some people exhibit a real hatred for people that they have never met, do not know and never will know. All because they choose to ride a bike. Immediately they get hold of the handlebars they become "f'ing menace" or an "idiot" in the eyes of some drivers. One wonders, were it their brother, sister, mother or father or child! Would they modify their thinking?

Well said

I've been cycling for years, road bikes, mountain bikes and BMX, and absolutely love it. I see the same enjoyment in my 6 year olds face when he's on his bike but I can't let him cycle on any of the roads where I live as I'm too scared he'd get knocked off. I've got him a mountain bike and we now do most of our cycling at Bike Park Wales or other nearby tracks. Cardiff has terrible cycling facilities and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

No it wouldn't Bruce I'm constantly having conversations here along the lines of treat them the same as cars - only if you hit them you'll probably kill them and end up in prison - as mental as most of them are when it comes to protecting themselves.

I am more anti Cyclist when I am a pedestrian than when I am driving.
Without fail, I see cyclists running Red lights, both Normal traffic and cycle lane Lights. This not only puts me in danger of being hit by them, but themselves at risk of a collision with a car who is moving along on Green.

In this part of London, its a weekly occurrence where a cyclist has been killed by going under the wheels of a truck/bus/other.

I am more anti Cyclist when I am a pedestrian than when I am driving.
Without fail, I see cyclists running Red lights, both Normal traffic and cycle lane Lights. This not only puts me in danger of being hit by them, but themselves at risk of a collision with a car who is moving along on Green.

In this part of London, its a weekly occurrence where a cyclist has been killed by going under the wheels of a truck/bus/other.

Mark

I cannot argue with what you say. I know it is correct. But I would say, the same is true for cars/drivers that cause carnage on our roads on an industrial scale. We are conditioned to accept this. Deaths caused by poor driving, rarely make headlines when they are between two cars. Car v Cyclist still does occasionally, make the news, but I suspect soon will not. A sure sign that we are just accepting of it.

The fact remains, a cyclist colliding with a car or another pedestrian is unlikely to cause the death of the driver or the pedestrian. A car driving into a cyclist or a pedestrian is often fatal. These are the facts. We all know that before we get behind the wheel. But still some continue to take risks simply for the sake of shaving a few seconds off their journey. They get wound up at the mere sight of a cyclist approaching.

We need a culture where people are accepting of the fact that cyclists and bikes are here to stay and we need to co-exist. I apply this to all road users.

Last edited:
I've been cycling for years, road bikes, mountain bikes and BMX, and absolutely love it. I see the same enjoyment in my 6 year olds face when he's on his bike but I can't let him cycle on any of the roads where I live as I'm too scared he'd get knocked off. I've got him a mountain bike and we now do most of our cycling at Bike Park Wales or other nearby tracks. Cardiff has terrible cycling facilities and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Ditto : I take my 8 year old out cycling regularly , but not on the roads . We are fortunate to have a network of disused railway lines which have been paved over and turned into cycle tracks .

Ditto : I take my 8 year old out cycling regularly , but not on the roads . We are fortunate to have a network of disused railway lines which have been paved over and turned into cycle tracks .

Beechings legacy ;^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom