Passion fruit question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GRAV888

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 CLA 180 AMG in Black (mine) 2018 GLA 200 SE in Black (wifes)
I have a passion fruit plant that is climbing the wall between my house and the neighbours' nicely.
It produced fruit last year, but this year has gone mad.
There must be at least 100 fruits on it.
I make my own variations of cherry vodka, cherry brandy, damson gin and strawberry gin, but does anyone know if I can use the passion fruits in something?
Do I have to cook them first, or can you use them 'as is'?
Most are still green at the moment, but some are a nice orangy colour.
Passion fruit vodka seems like a likely candidate.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Ooh, passion fruits! I didn't know they would actually fruit in this weather! We used to have a huge plant when we lived in Gambia (I must say, it did attract snakes tho :p)

One of my favorites was passion fruit ice-cream (fruits, sugar, milk, cream - same as strawberry ice cream really). Once the ice cream is ready, you can re-stuff the empty shells and freeze the whole thing making some nice little natural bowls :)

Another favorite is passion fruit sauce with meat (its better with stronger meat, like goat). Just boil the pulp with some sugar (1kg of fruit pulp with 500g of sugar) for 20/30 mins (or until the consistency is that of a marmelade). Then just spread it over you meat like cranberry sauce.

There are hoardes of recepies with them as they have such a strong yet sweet flavour. Try shoving some on some meat before baking it, it does wonders!

(oh, and if you make the sauce, you can put it in air-tight jars, sterilize them (boil them in water for 30 mins or so) and you can keep them in a dark closet for almost a year!

Michele

Only one thing for it: A Passion Fruit Driver:

4 oz. Vodka
4 Passion Fruit
5 oz. Orange Juice
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Scoop out the pulp with seeds. Add vodka stir with a fork.

Strain mixture into a shaker. Add the remaining ingredients and ice. Shake well.

Strain into a chilled glass.

SportsCoupeRich said:
I reckon Spinal quite llikes this particular fruit!!

Passion fruits, mangos and bananas... Actually, ANY fruit which grows in your own garden. They just have a different taste :)

(When I talk to my mother this weekend I'll ask her for more precise recepies, I didn't cook in Gambia...)

Michele

Why not just eat them? Yummy

John the envious

As a young lad in Uganda, used to dunk bananas in ripe passion fruits cut in half (mmmmmmm! brings back memories). Must say some of Spinal suggestions sound delicious!

glojo said:
Why not just eat them? Yummy

John the envious

I thought of this, but then thought, why not make a passion fruit vodka.
Gonna start picking them tomorrow along with the damsons for the damson gin.
Already got the cherries, sugar and brandy nicely fermenting under the stairs.
It's meant to be for xmas, but last year only stayed safe for 3 weeks before I had to try a drop.
Then another drop, then loads of big drops:devil:

GRAV888 said:
:D :D I know the feeling. Your recipes sound very more-ish.

Happy tasting.

John

GRAV888 said:
I thought of this, but then thought, why not make a passion fruit vodka.
Gonna start picking them tomorrow along with the damsons for the damson gin.
Already got the cherries, sugar and brandy nicely fermenting under the stairs.
It's meant to be for xmas, but last year only stayed safe for 3 weeks before I had to try a drop.
Dont let Pammy read this :crazy:

GRAV888 - We have a Passion fruit plant that also has 100+ fruits (chicken egg size, dark/light green in colour, but some turning yellow).

When are they ready and how do you eat them.

Thanks
iandc666

They are ready when the fruit turns an orangy colour.
Having not tried them before, I just cut one in half and spooned out the middle.
Tasted a bit insipid, but was ok.
I now have the pulp and seeds in a large jar, with loads of sugar and vodka and will see what it tastes like in a few months.

Too late Ian - already seen it and been quietly lurking :devil:

It all sounds too too gorgeous - I adore Passion Fruit - so highly fragranced - totally divine:p

pammy said:
Too late Ian - already seen it and been quietly lurking :devil:

It all sounds too too gorgeous - I adore Passion Fruit - so highly fragranced - totally divine:p

Hands off.
They're all mine, all mine I tell ya:devil:

Will bring some new and some old recipe drinks to the next gtg for you to sample:bannana:

GRAV888 said:
Hands off.
They're all mine, all mine I tell ya:devil:

Will bring some new and some old recipe drinks to the next gtg for you to sample:bannana:

Ooh - yummy :D

PS - was driving down the A1 today and passed a massive lorry fire at the Tadcaster turnoff. The whole thing was up in flames. COming home - went past what was left - not a lot!! Meg's shot some vid so if I can work out how to get it of the phone, hosted and posted you can see it ;)

GRAV888 said:
Just hope it wasn't one of mine:crazy:

Happened just before 2.00p, and looked to have a mixed load - looked like food stuff from the wreckage.

That's ok then. Mine would have been about 5pm and full of cardboard inserts.
Phew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom