Password Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I went to sign into BBC I Player and when I put in the password, I got a message ' Your password has been in a data breach'. Is there any way of finding what has happened?
Just before this occurred, most of the desktop icons went blank. I take it the 2 issues are not related. I am on Windows 8.1 on an Apple Imac. I see instructions as to how to
fix this but am not smart enough to be able to follow them !

Thanks for the reply. I managed to follow a process which is supposed to cure the blank icons. It involved deleting IconCache.db but it didn't work. Have you any suggestions? I am learning as I go!

Windows 8.1 on an iMac
what madness is this?

you may be better searching the forums relating to Mac software but it should not be too much of an issue to reset a password.

That said I’m hopeless when it comes to IT issues but good luck with finding your solution.

Robin

Apple and I don't agree ! It is probably an age thing (my age , not the iMac.

Update your windows, 8.1 lost support in 2018. If you prefer to run windows, you can run windows on an external drive on a Mac and Windows 10 is free.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went to sign into BBC I Player and when I put in the password, I got a message ' Your password has been in a data breach'. Is there any way of finding what has happened?
Just before this occurred, most of the desktop icons went blank. I take it the 2 issues are not related. I am on Windows 8.1 on an Apple Imac. I see instructions as to how to
fix this but am not smart enough to be able to follow them !
I think there might be wider issues here, possibly problem is Windows 8.1 which is no longer supported but usually easily updated to Windows 10.
However I have had messages ‘password in data leak’, and ‘password compromised’ on IPhone 12 (IOS 14). Seems to me they only relate to passwords which have been used on multiple sites and stored in the iPhone (usually by my wife). Changing the password on other sites cures the problem.
Am I right in thinking this is clever iPhone software on my phone designed to worry me, rather than a worldwide data leak.

Update your windows, 8.1 lost support in 2018. If you prefer to run windows, you can run windows on an external drive on a Mac and Windows 10 is free.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was for the first year it came out but that finished in 2016.

As far as I am aware you have to pay for it through legitimate channels.

Aah my mistake sorry.

I think my post was worded poorly!

I was referring to Benzowner stating Windows 10 was free...

It was for the first year it came out but that finished in 2016.

As far as I am aware you have to pay for it through legitimate channels.
I have just installed windows 10 home on an external drive and it was free, follow the vid I attached and it shows where it comes from, all legal and works well for me on my mac.

I have just installed windows 10 home on an external drive and it was free, follow the vid I attached and it shows where it comes from, all legal and works well for me on my mac.

Windows 10 is definitely not free beyond the first year of release.

You can certainly download the ISO from Microsoft ever since release but there's no licence within that as it's just the media (like a rescue DVD or CD without the key in old money).

If you installed it in the first year of release, you will have digital entitlement, which is legit.

If you installed after that first year of release, and assuming your copy of Windows shows as Activated when you check the activation status, then there's some kind of glitch going on which I guess MS don't know about or don't care enough to fix!

Result for you...

Used windows yesterday and it is active and also downloaded updates. I think there is an agreement with Apple and Microsoft.

Used windows yesterday and it is active and also downloaded updates. I think there is an agreement with Apple and Microsoft.

Did a bit of digging.

This Microsoft page points to...

this Apple page...

which states:

A 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro on a disk image (ISO) or other installation media. If installing Windows on your Mac for the first time, this must be a full version of Windows, not an upgrade.

If your copy of Windows came on a USB flash drive, or you have a Windows product key and no installation disc, download a Windows 10 disk image from Microsoft.
If your copy of Windows came on a DVD, you might need to create a disk image of that DVD.

"If your copy of Windows came on a USB flash drive" is how you can buy Windows 10 retail.

MacWorld has this:

How to get Windows 10 for free

Obviously, you'll also need a copy of Windows 10. This is the tricky part, as Windows is not free software. Buying a copy directly from Microsoft will cost you £119/US$139/AU$225 for the Home version or more if you want the Pro package. But there is a way to get around this.

If you're willing to put up with a few notifications and not being able to change many of your preferences, then you can download a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft for free.

So if there is some kind of agreement, it's perhaps unwritten...

The windows 10 software is downloaded from Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) and is an ISO file which you can either enter a product code or not. I chose not to as I did not have one and will not pay for an online code which will probably not work anyway. If you have bootcamp assistant on your mac, that is where they advise to download windows. If you follow my earlier post you can install windows on an external drive, which I have done and it works fine.

The windows 10 software is downloaded from Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) and is an ISO file which you can either enter a product code or not. I chose not to as I did not have one and will not pay for an online code which will probably not work anyway. If you have bootcamp assistant on your mac, that is where they advise to download windows. If you follow my earlier post you can install windows on an external drive, which I have done and it works fine.

Yeah that ISO download has been available since Windows 10 was released 6 years ago.

The online codes are usually trash. I've seen plenty of illegal material being sold on the Rain Forest retailer.

Unless you installed Windows 10 in the free period between 2015 > 2016 whilst it was free, in which case you have legit digital entitlement, an install of Windows can't be legal as it has not been paid for.

But as before, if it activates and shows as activated as your one does and downloads the updates, then it's circumventing the copyright somehow and it's down to the conscience.

I doubt many install Windows 10 on Macs so MS probably don't care and it's not worth their while rectifying if there is a glitch anyway.

So if there is some kind of agreement, it's perhaps unwritten...

It's all about market share - they'd rather let you run a mildly hobbled version of Win10 gratis than have you use a competitor's OS.

It's all about market share - they'd rather let you run a mildly hobbled version of Win10 gratis than have you use a competitor's OS.

I'd be surprised if there is much market share to gain.

Most Mac owners seem to hate Microsoft with a passion and if not, they usually run both OS's anyway.

Knowing Microsoft, I'd bet it's an oversight as I've seen a few clangers over the years from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom