Password protecting internet access

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madferrit

Car
'06 B150SE, '99 E220 CDi, A160, Ferrari Mondial and a Smartee! Now Sold: G300 LWB (sadly missed)
Have broadband connected to a PC and would like to restrict access from the PC to the internet by password only, without affecting any of the other programs that need the net. Is it possible?

I have Norton installed on it as well, so if there is a way to set that to do this task, that would be appreciated.

Ideally I'm looking for something along the freeware/ shareware route.. but if there is anything else out there in the public domain, i'm all of that too.

Many thanks

:)

Last edited:
clegsr said:
Are you trying to stop people browsing? or other programs accessing the net without your permission?

I want to stop people browsing. The PC in question is also a POS system in a retail store. I've found people spending more time getting onto hotmail or other email accounts and less time serving customers.. so need to put a stop to it. I can't shut down access to the net completely as i have a number of applications on it that send and receive data throughout the day.

SEM said:
How about this??

Although you can block web browsing with firefox and IExplorer, there are other ways round it to get on the web, like the address bar in Outlook or in the file search of explorer file manager..

Most of the people employed aren't that tech savvy to work around the password protection. Its more of a detterent so that they realise that i'm serious when i say i don't want them using the POS system to check their email accounts, or to download something and then use the burner to put it onto cd. :crazy:

SEM said:
this one looks perfect for what i need, and isn't going to cost a packet! Will trial the demo this weekend and see how it goes. Many thanks! :bannana:

Disable DNS on the PC, then add the IP addresses/ hostnames of your data sources to the HOSTS file.

This way, you can control what sites the PC can resolve....

Madferrit said:
I want to stop people browsing. The PC in question is also a POS system in a retail store. I've found people spending more time getting onto hotmail or other email accounts and less time serving customers.. so need to put a stop to it. I can't shut down access to the net completely as i have a number of applications on it that send and receive data throughout the day.

Just put a memo out telling then not to do it, and sack the first one you catch after that.

What if they picked up a virus that wiped out your sales achieve do you think the VAT man would say "it OK mate s*&t happens" I can tell you now he wouldn’t and would audit you and would look at your GP on lines/services and give you a VAT bill on all stock sold at full price not taking into consideration any waste/sales/discounts you have given. I do not know how you feel about these things but the only thing you owe loyalty to is the company and profit, in mho no one is irreplaceable although it does feel like that at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunatly can't be in all places all the time... although i have cctv i can watch from home to each store, but even that gets a bit tedious to watch at times.. esp when i could be browsing this forum. :D I've also put the notice up and in staff bulletins but you always get the odd plonker who tries to bypass the system.

So i thought.... let me lock it down and that way they'll soon get over it and carry on with their work. Just hope that i don't get some twit who decides he can get his way around the system :mad: .. p45's would be issued swiftly :devil:

WLeg said:
Disable DNS on the PC, then add the IP addresses/ hostnames of your data sources to the HOSTS file.

This way, you can control what sites the PC can resolve....

I'm hoping it won't get that technical.. just want a simple program to stop IE from accessing net and asking for a password. Thx

Which OS?

XP on 3 of the systems, and 98 :crazy: on the 4th.

OK do you need any surfing abilities (I think I have a solution but I am unsure if it will work for 98)?

Surfing i'd like to restrict to myself, when needed, and my store manager. 98 i can probably get away with not linking to the net, but the XP machines will definately need to have access. :)

Is it possible to simply isolate certain PC's and just not allow them access?

Good luck solving the problem,
John

You can also use the Content Advsor in IE - just don't allow access to any site without the password......

This would only stop IE though.......

Last edited:
Just before we go into this, what’s running?

Are these touch screens that are networked for sales reasons why do they need to be online for surfing is it not possible to restrict this to a back office PC or maybe a laptop if back office is not available. I take it you update all PLUs etc from one central unit and central sales recovery archive. Explain for me are you running option 1(contacted to a back office which are the PCs you are concerned about) or option 2(and it is the till its self that is being compromised, BTW this is what I use but IBM).

WLeg said:
You can also use the Content Advsor in IE - just don't allow access to any site without the password......

This would only stop IE though.......

That might just do it.. will give it a try today :) thanks :bannana:

zooman said:
Just before we go into this, what’s running?

Are these touch screens that are networked for sales reasons why do they need to be online for surfing is it not possible to restrict this to a back office PC or maybe a laptop if back office is not available. I take it you update all PLUs etc from one central unit and central sales recovery archive. Explain for me are you running option 1(contacted to a back office which are the PCs you are concerned about) or option 2(and it is the till its self that is being compromised, BTW this is what I use but IBM).

looks more like option 2;

Just one PC per store, which doubles as a cash register with touch screen monitors. As its a PC, its running XP (or 98). There isn't a back office PC, so its connected directly to broadband with a firewall etc.

My desktop at home connects to the PC's to collect sales info etc, so that broadband connection needs to be live. Occasionally the system will need to push data to my home PC so i don't want to block all outgoing data either.

I now this may be a bit simple but can you not simply remove keyboard and only use it when it is needed. I will get back to you on my idea.

In my old old old old IT day's i disabled access in the ini file (cant remember which one) just by changing a command line from 0 to 1. This removed the search window in explorer/or stopped internet access via IE.. will have a scout round to see if i can find it if you want to try it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom