Patching a hole temporarily

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
A new project has a tiny hole in a wheelarch letting in water. This not being a good time of year for water and not wishing to start repairs until the full scope of work I want done is specified, anybody got a good idea for plugging an inch or so sized hole in the driver's footwell in a way that should last for months rather than days?

Fiberglass? or if the area is flat on the inside you can use flashband to keep the weather out.

Flashband looks the most sensible pro-tem.

Halfords | David's Isopon P40 Kit 250ml

easy to mix up-- will stick like sh*t to a shovel if any loose rust is removed first- might have to temporarily support it till it sets- helps to add a little extra catalyst and apply a little heat with a heatgun/paint stripper / hair drier both before and after applying with a flat spatula.

Last edited:
I should add I have a terrible chest infection at present, so anything involving solvents is out.

I should add I have a terrible chest infection at present, so anything involving solvents is out.

Isopon p40 doesn't give off much in the way of solvent compared to underseal or aerosol spray paint for example. Your main problem is in surface preparation where cleaning the surface of loose material is the key [literally ] to an effective repair--and this will involve a bit of dust generation. If you are poorly I suggest farming the job out- your health comes first.

Last edited:
Two part epoxy resin filler. My local discount store sells it for £1 in a tube-shaped container. Cut a piece of aluminium (or even plastic) mesh, overlap the hole by half an inch, place over the hole (having cleaned the surface first with a wire brush, mix the resin , tamp it into the mesh, allow to harden (1 hour)and then give it another dose of resin. Sets like stone. Ideal as a cheap temporary fix.

Rivet a small plate, with overlap of 1/2 inch, and go round edges with mastic gun, can you get someone else to do it for you? sounds like you should stay in the warm.

What shape while is it is round use a large rubber grommet

If odd shaped I would use the likes of dino Matt it's a rubber sound deading material which is also sticky just use a small roller to push in place

Or fiber glass but that will smell

If you can push a cardboard blank on the under side and then fill from on top with a mask on you would not smell any thing
As such

These are not the right way to fix it but will get you out of a bind

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

If its out of the way and you need a temporary fix you can use waterproof tape. Have a roll I bought from Halfords a while ago, sticks well and easy to remove when you want to do it permanently.

THIS Double-sided rough surface tape is excellent. You'll be surprised just how sticky it is and what it will stick to.

You could put a Tesco Clubcard type piece of plastic (cut to size if required) over the hole (both sides if you wish) and then (seal any gaps with a hot-melt glue gun if you have one) cover with Duct Tape. No dust and the repair should hold out for a good while.

Hi use fibreglass filler the one that comes in tin like filler except filled with fibre glass strands hope this helps

I haven't touched a drop since Christmas day (at the tail end of which I took to my bed and have really only properly surfaced today). Much as I'd love to (and my heavens, what a lot of booze is hanging around) I just can't face it, although I might just see if a hot toddy tonight is palatable.

Getting outside today on a mild, damp and slightly blowy day was a really excellent tonic. Now for some oriental style chicken soup. A sovereign relief for the upper respiratory tract infection!

I might just see if a hot totty tonight is palatable.

I was thinking more on these lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom