Pathetic Air Flow from Rear Vents???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi,

Have noticed over the last few cold mornings that the air flow from the rear air vents (in the centre console) appears to be a bit on the pathetic side! The front vents can be belting out hot air but the rear ones have a minimal flow - almost as if the fan is only set at 2 rather than 6!

Any ideas why or should they be like this anyway? Never having sat in the back of my car since buying it - it's not something I've ever noticed or thought about until my son said he was cold today!!

Simon

Anyone got any suggestions please? Would rather avoid MB Edinburgh if it is something I can fix in the morning myself.

Thanks folks

mines the same, very slow.

The ducts leading the air to the rear are a loose push fit together under the seats. They often get detached especially where the ducts terminate thro the carpet.If this is the case you end up heating the carpets rather than the air. You need to lift the carpets to check this. This is best achieved by moving/removing the seats but you may get away with just lifting a bit of the carpet. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.626&CT=F&cat=66G&SID=83&SGR=165&SGN=04
different models have slightly different arrangements but you get the idea.

There is a lever in the inside of the centre console to divert the air from the rear vent to cool inside the centre console.
Check it out

On my older e class if the vent in the cooler box is on the air flow from the rear passenger vents is less, never checker the floor vents though.

Lynall

I had the same issues in my W202, check your pollen filter, my guess is that its black with crap and needs replacing, well thats what it was with mine!!!

Ah just re read you thread, didnt realise it was the back, im not sure about this then... mine was really weak at the front

Raj

There is a lever in the inside of the centre console to divert the air from the rear vent to cool inside the centre console.
Check it out

Been away for a bit and just read the replies. Thanks for all th input so far.

Have checked the lever and the cool box is off and the air should beflowing out the rear vents fine, but alas not!

Anything else I can try? Tried resetting the vents but just the same again.

Do you really need them??? Can you shut them off manually?

The ones in my 270 are almost always closed as I rarely have rear seat passengers.

mine is the same i think its not a fault they were just made like that. it used to bother me but i just closed them

Do you really need them??? Can you shut them off manually?

The ones in my 270 are almost always closed as I rarely have rear seat passengers.
Yes, want the little one to be warm in the back in this weather. He is my 1 and only back seat driver these days.

My W210 e320 has poor flow out of the rear console vents also. i suspect its a token gesture fitting. It may be that at higher road speeds the natural forced air flow does improve the flow to the rear.

After reading this thread, I noticed the air flow from mine was poor also, but during the summer with the air con on, they were belting out cold air.

Must be something to do with the settings and being on auto, I'm sure the output can be adjusted with the heater controls on manual. Must try next time I'm out.

Russ

Hi,

Have noticed over the last few cold mornings that the air flow from the rear air vents (in the centre console) appears to be a bit on the pathetic side! The front vents can be belting out hot air but the rear ones have a minimal flow - almost as if the fan is only set at 2 rather than 6!

Any ideas why or should they be like this anyway? Never having sat in the back of my car since buying it - it's not something I've ever noticed or thought about until my son said he was cold today!!

Simon

:) Hi Simon,

I have been experimenting similarly with my centre console vents and found it worked fine,once you turn the main selector to blow on you - arrow pointing towards person in sitting position.The close both the centre dash and side window vent baffles and hey presto ! - try it - I used it so as to boost the rear window de-misting,when it was been particularly stubborn one morning.

Alex

Last edited:
I tried it on mine too tonight, switch from auto to manual, select the face level vents & turn up the fan, the air belts out the rear vents.

Russ

I tried it on mine too tonight, switch from auto to manual, select the face level vents & turn up the fan, the air belts out the rear vents.

Russ

Happy to help !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom