Patience is virtue - Count to ten.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Well here I sit contemplating my next move. I'm fed up, a bit angry, but most of all just plain annoyed.

What do the panel think?

First week in January 2017. I order a new tailgate glass for my 124 Wagon from a very well known glass company (I will not publish their name - YET!!) This was done via my insurer, with things going wrong from the very first contact.

1) The glass company could not locate my vehicle as "their systems were down". I agreed await a call back. That call back took over 24 hours and necessitated me calling them back several times.

2) They insisted that my registration flagged up a "Moped". Another 24 hours, several more calls and emails from me, I say "cancel the order please" as it obvious that there is a real issue.

3) Glass company Manager calls me to apologise and explains that they had "system issues" now resolved and could I just confirm my car make and model again "just to be sure"...Hmmmmmm.

4) I am told that the glass is not stocked in the UK and has to come from Mercedes, Germany and will take three weeks. Well these things happen, the car is garaged and not being used, so hey, not great but what can go wrong?

5) I wait three weeks and the promised time (first call of the day 08:00am) arrives. They fitters do not, however arrive!!. More calls with the glass company insisting that despite me having emails from their management that I would be first call at 08:00, they would "never agree to a time slot or first call"

6) 13:00 on the day. Glass fitters arrive at my house. One starts to break down my car while the other prepares the paperwork (billing info) and the new glass. At this point I am relaxed, offering coffee & tea etc.

7) Fitters announce a "big problem" Somebody? has stuck a Mercedes delivery label over the top of a massive scratch. In fact somebody has stuck two labels over two massive scratches.

8) Now desperate to get the job done (Mrs Millars Birthday is now going wrong) I ask them to try and polish the scratches out. This fails with the scratches being to deep.

9) Fitters (nice guys) order up TWO new glasses and complain to their office about the labels having clearly being stuck on to hide the scratches. They are told it will take another three weeks to get the new glass!! Off they go leaving my car in bits (at my request)

10) I write to the glass company, politely voicing my frustrations and asking that the new glass be checked before it is sent to me.

11) I receive a call from a "customer complaints manager" who is "appalled" at my experience. He is going to "personally take charge" and speak to all concerned and ensure that my glass is delivered and fitted without any further problems. He apologises that I have to wait another three weeks - hey I now feel good, so who cares about the three weeks.

12) The glass company arrange a day to install (TODAY @ 08:00). They then call me several times asking if "I would like an earlier date" No today @ 08:00am is fine.

13) 08:00am today I get a call on my mobile from the glass company. Probably them calling me to say they are on their way ;^)

NO. THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN TO ORDER THE GLASS AND IT WILL NOW BE ANOTHER THREE WEEKS!!

They don't know how they forgot (and it doesn't matter) but they do not have the glass and I have to wait another three weeks, while it is re-ordered from Germany.

So here I sit. What would you do? I need the glass. These are the UK's biggest and my insurers preferred providers. MY Insurers are not happy and have offered to to try and source it elsewhere, but, It has to come from Germany. I have no desire to cut my nose off. But it is so frustrating that people cannot do what they say, when they say.

If the glass is in stock in Germany, why three weeks to source?

Regards the confusion with the registration though - doesn't your 124 have an unusual NI issued registration plate? Maybe related - is it also an original MB UK registered vehicle (ie not an import?)

Good luck! :)

IMO, there's not much you can do. The three week wait time is going to happen whoever your insurers use, so if they change supplier presumably the clock will start again, therefore, as you say, cutting your nose off etc.

Unless you get mileage out of the 'compo' culture (and from the tone of your posts, I don't think you do) I can see little benefit from naming and shaming this bunch of shysters on social media as you've not laid out your own money. Perhaps they might refund your excess, if any, as a gesture of goodwill.

Suspecting that this is a household name so therefore big company, like many you've been caught out by having something that's not run of the mill and fits snugly into their processes so 'computer says no' and it all goes to the brown stuff.

Counting to ten over three weeks is one increment every 46hours and 6 minutes.

If the glass is in stock in Germany, why three weeks to source?

Regards the confusion with the registration though - doesn't your 124 have an unusual NI issued registration plate? Maybe related - is it also an original MB UK registered vehicle (ie not an import?)

Good luck! :)

Will

Well remembered on the Rag number ;^). However it does lookup fine on any of the simple sites, ECP, Webuyanycar etc and the DARTCHARGE. The glass Co did say that they could find it "after" they sorted their system issues. So I do think it was down to them or their system. As for thinking it was a "moped" that did make me laugh (not now) I had a mental picture of a moped with giant rear windscreen protecting the pillion passenger?

IMO, there's not much you can do. The three week wait time is going to happen whoever your insurers use, so if they change supplier presumably the clock will start again, therefore, as you say, cutting your nose off etc.

Unless you get mileage out of the 'compo' culture (and from the tone of your posts, I don't think you do) I can see little benefit from naming and shaming this bunch of shysters on social media as you've not laid out your own money. Perhaps they might refund your excess, if any, as a gesture of goodwill.

Suspecting that this is a household name so therefore big company, like many you've been caught out by having something that's not run of the mill and fits snugly into their processes so 'computer says no' and it all goes to the brown stuff.

Counting to ten over three weeks is one increment every 46hours and 6 minutes.

Matt

Thank you. A well reasoned response. At times like this you just feel like screaming n the knowledge that nobody actually gives a ****. They get our business simply because they are there. No pride at all in what they do. I now worry what the actual job will be like?

Will

Well remembered on the Rag number ;^). However it does lookup fine on any of the simple sites, ECP, Webuyanycar etc and the DARTCHARGE. The glass Co did say that they could find it "after" they sorted their system issues. So I do think it was down to them or their system. As for thinking it was a "moped" that did make me laugh (not now) I had a mental picture of a moped with giant rear windscreen protecting the pillion passenger?

Hi Bruce,

The reason I asked is because a lot of the NI registration retailers use mopeds to store the number plates on (or they did do in the past). It saves them paying the usual fees for retention certificates etc.

Possibly why it came up as a moped on their system if based on the original registration entry :thumb:

When the new glass was seen to be scratched, why didn't you tell them to fit it? At least then you could have used the vehicle these last few weeks, while they sourced a replacement. I think I would have, it would have saved you a lot of frustration.

Hi Bruce,

The reason I asked is because a lot of the NI registration retailers use mopeds to store the number plates on (or they did do in the past). It saves them paying the usual fees for retention certificates etc.

Possibly why it came up as a moped on their system if based on the original registration entry :thumb:

Wow. Just Wow. This place never ceases to amaze. I never knew that and it does probably explain the comedic responses from the Glass Co. Thank you.

oops wrong thread sorry Bruce.
#

ps WESTERN MERCEDES in Edinburgh used to use the same dodge- I have personally seen 3 old mopeds with very desirable numbers plates stacked in the rear of their old Willow Brae ?? premises

Last edited:
When the new glass was seen to be scratched, why didn't you tell them to fit it? At least then you could have used the vehicle these last few weeks, while they sourced a replacement. I think I would have, it would have saved you a lot of frustration.

2 things.

1) They didn't want to fit it as they risk of damaging the car would be doubled. That seemed sensible to me.

2) Most importantly. I was not in a hurry as the car is garaged and laid up.

My frustration is with the process and the disregard for the domino effect of their incompetence. It was Mrs M's birthday and I had promised we were going out (and booked a meal). They knew this and agreed to be here at 08:00am, which when they did not show up I chased and they changed to 11:00am eventually arriving at 13:00. This after arguing that they had never arranged to the 08:00am appointment. I could have just gone out, but then given them the high ground and possibly looked me being the problem.

Bruce , no mattter what happens , do not , and I repeat , DO NOT watch Falling Down starring Michael Douglas.

Harry now waits for for the Daily Mail headline in 3 weeks ..........

Wow!

You are having a torrid time with this.

Why 3 weeks to get a screen? When my dealership were sorting out a wiper issue they said if a new screen was required they could get one in the next day.

Not an option to use them now though with the car garaged and no screen.

I do understand not having the scratched screen put in as they are bonded and having watched a YouTube video of one like my car being changed the fitters do have to be very careful when cutting the old screen out.

I hope things go better with the next visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too late now, but I think what I would have done is insist during the first visit that they fit the scratched glass as temporary solution until the new glass arrives - this is obviously assuming that you did not pay for the glass in advance? But too late now I suppose.

You options are to either cancel the order and take your business elsewhere, or wait another 3 weeks - potentially asking for some compensation for not being able to use the car (if I understand correctly you agreed that you could do without the car for the first three weeks, but now you have no option but not use the car?)

Too late now, but I think what I would have done is insist during the first visit that they fit the scratched glass as temporary solution until the new glass arrives - this is obviously assuming that you did not pay for the glass in advance? But too late now I suppose.

You options are to either cancel the order and take your business elsewhere, or wait another 3 weeks - potentially asking for some compensation for not being able to use the car (if I understand correctly you agreed that you could do without the car for the first three weeks, but now you have no option but not use the car?)
Mark

We could not risk double fitting & removing and the potential for damage to the car/paint. That is why we did not elect to fit the scratched glass.

:doh:Bruce you always seem to be getting into scrapes, is there any way you could perhaps lead a more sedate/relaxed lifestyle? When you were a little boy did you drive your mother mad?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom