Pattern Imprinted Concrete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

comports

Car
CLK 350 Cabriolet
Hi Folks,

Just after a bit of advice if you could... I'm in need of having my patio re done as the stones are all over the place and looking very untidy/uneven. It is over 10 years old now.

It has the old stone flags (good ones) and not sure whether to have them re laid or replace with the imprinted concrete method. (i could use the flags elsewhere so not wasted)

Does anyone have experience of the printed concrete..? Any examples of cracking/dropping or any other advice.. I really like some of the designs and colours. It is about 60m2 in size.

Thanks

The secret is all in the preparation.
Oh, and just make sure there are no services under there!!!!

My parents house had pattern imprinted concrete flags when they bought it. First they lose their colour and become slag grey, and when the frost gets in they disintegrate completely (the flags that is, not my parents...). Horrible things.

Used Creta Print or something like that around 15 years ago, good job, reasonable price then, customer satisfied. Passed by the other day and still lokk pretty good, sorry forgot to mention it was for an OSP bay.

Thanks Charles - I might have worded my post incorrectly.

It is the poured concrete and then pattern stamped rather than flag stones.

Not from these guys but this type of thing

Sorry! Got the wrong end of the stick.

imo. Doesn't allow water through so ground underneath dries out and can sag leading to cracks. If patio ajoins house it might have detrimental effect on foundations. Better with blockpave. At least if it goes wrong it can be lifted and fixed. Also...looks less artificial. (also imo).

IMHO it looks horrible, no matter how well poured.

If you can find a recommended contractor then yes they are good.

I would never have the imprinted concrete because they can be a death trap during wet/icy weather, even laid with a good "fall" giving good drainage.

If it goes wrong then it's a costly mistake.

I've just laid stone cobbles. Easy to replace if need be.

I would have your flags relaid properly if it were me.

Thanks folks - you are all putting me off the idea so far..! any good comments..?

I'm tending to move towards having my flags relaid properly at the moment.

real stone laid/re-laid properly will outlast all of us.
PIC ? In a word - crap.

Glad to see someone using the right terminology :)

My house has the imprinted concrete on the drive and patio, was there when I bought the property. On the patio the concrete has cracked and is sagging, the drive is in pretty good condition.
The previous owner used to clean and paint it once a year, something I hope to do this summer.

IMHO it looks horrible, no matter how well poured.

As one of my colleagues at work discovered, especially as he had been talked into a "red brick" effect. 12 months later had it ripped up and block paving installed.

It really was dreadful.

So - not a good word to be said. Thanks People. You have made up my mind for me. I'll cancel their visit so as not to waste my time or theirs..

What a great place this is. Especially to get advice from folks that have experienced it and wish they never did.

Cheers all.

Not sure what they are called but they are natural stone, very heavy/thick and are not the sawn type. Look like chipped edges rather than straight. Have seen something very similar at our local reclamation yard so could probably match the extra that I would need as we are extending it a bit.

I have the poured patterned concrete and had the rear path, patio, carport and front garden done. You can choose various colours as well as patterns. I used Avon Cobblestone they are local to Bristol, I guess there must be a franchise nearer to you. The job was done about 5 years ago and we have had no problems with cracking. On completion, they cut some expansion slots into the concrete and silicone mastic the cuts.

I had mine done by L&H Driveways using Creteprint cobble effect and have had no problems with my drive in the 4 years since it was laid. It gets sealed once a year and still looks as good as new and as others have said it's down to the preparation as to whether it's going to last.

I looked at a few contractors work and some of it was horrible and eventually chose the poured concrete over block work as that fades faster than a politicians promise not to mention the weeds, moss and algae that it harbours.

There were no problems with grip during the recent cold spell but never use salt on the concrete or block work as that will make it fade. (And one reason why a lot of council pavements aren't salted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom