Paul Dalton shows how to wash your car properly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Mmmmm, with a sponge?

[YOUTUBE]SpUNglIi5A4[/YOUTUBE]

and then this??

[YOUTUBE]qfEcgemCiyk[/YOUTUBE]

Guess if you're going to polish the car after it doesn't matter...

Hi Peter,

I had a pleasure of meeting Paul few years back and he was such a humble guy and gave me alot of tips. He even gave me one of his drying towels FREE.

His attention to detail is second to none, his workshop had carpet floor and it was soo clean. Guess if you using gritgaurd buckets, then sponge isnt too bad :)

I think it's more the machine polishing afterwards? Or have we been hoodwinked into believing lambswool is the only way?

I think it's more the machine polishing afterwards? Or have we been hoodwinked into believing lambswool is the only way?

I have been cleaning my car drom last 10 years (never paid a penny to any car wash). I always used Sponge (seperate for body and wheels). I always treat my car with some sealant after GLAZE/POLISH so it protects it for longer term. I have paint defect i accept but it never bothers me and Silver is very forgiving colour so i get away with it.

I see at 2.40 that he puts the sponge in the wrong bucket and pulls the sheepskin mitt out! :wallbash:

You know what, I bet we all used a sponge up until a few years ago. I know I did. And I bet we didn't suddenly all have scratched cars did we?!? No more than these days because almost how careful you are, it seems some marring occurs over time. I certainly can't speak because I'm one of those that have since been hoodwinked into only using a mitt - I might try a sponge again sometime! From memory I always thought natural sponges did best.

Nothing wrong with the sponge it's a zymol sponge which I have used for years without marking paint.

You know what, I bet we all used a sponge up until a few years ago. I know I did. And I bet we didn't suddenly all have scratched cars did we?!? No more than these days because almost how careful you are, it seems some marring occurs over time. I certainly can't speak because I'm one of those that have since been hoodwinked into only using a mitt - I might try a sponge again sometime! From memory I always thought natural sponges did best.

Doh what should I be using then?

Adams wash pad on mine,

I use a Dodo Juice Supernatural Sponge, it's very soft.

Stuart Wright's perfect way to wash his car. Put keys in ignition and start car. Drive to local car wash and have a cup of fresh coffee and a bacon roll in the adjoined cafe. Go back out to a clean car and drive home:thumb:

Stu

My wash method.

1: Jet wash.
2: Jet wash with snow foam.
3: Slice 4no 50p sponges lengthways to make 16no once-only contact sponges which are then thrown away of kept for non-car use.
4: Once bucket of water with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner.
5: Rinse with hose.

Drive to "Handwash Special Car Wash" - join queue. Turn off park assist and auto-wipers, press unlock doors button. Move forward when instructed by nice Latvian men who spray chemicals on wheels, soapy wash, rinse, dry, paint tyres, wipe inside doors and give you car fresh in return for £5. Turn on park assist and auto-wipers, drive away to get dirty again.

I'm with Stwat on this - I'm lucky in that one of our local hand wash places is in the car park of Tescos -and only uses Autoglym products. At first I watched them like a hawk, but now I happily leave them the keys while I shop, and have even allowed them to wash the 968 cab!!

Last edited:
Drive to "Handwash Special Car Wash" - join queue. Turn off park assist and auto-wipers, press unlock doors button. Move forward when instructed by nice Latvian men who spray chemicals on wheels, soapy wash, rinse, dry, paint tyres, wipe inside doors and give you car fresh in return for £5. Turn on park assist and auto-wipers, drive away to get dirty again.

This is also my method. The Albanians do a good job. :thumb:

If you prefer a sponge use a " professional tile grouters sponge". They are available from all good tile suppliers. The difference with these sponges is that they release the dirt a lot better than the normal orange sponges. They are a little bit dearer, a good one will cost around £3.

+1. But I think the guys at my local one are Polish. They even clean the inside of the windscreen - all for £5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom