PAYG Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Who is the chepest PAYG Mobile phone operator in the UK?

I am looking to put a chip into a handset in the car, initially thought I would go with Vodafone as that's who I use for my contract phone, but recently thought I wonder if any of the other operators are cheaper. The handset that I am going to use is unlocked.

Many thanks

Tan

What is the main network of the people you would phone from it?

Cheaper calls to and from same network.

If you intend to divert calls to it from your contract phone check the rate that you get charged for those calls. Cross network calls can be expensive.

If you intend to divert calls to it from your contract phone check the rate that you get charged for those calls. Cross network calls can be expensive.

I was hoping that I could have used my minutes or vodafones family plan but alas no. Voda say that any call forwarding is chargeable, so I wont bother to forward calls. I will just use the phone for outbound calls.

Are you able to get a duplicate sym for your existing mobile that you could use in the car?

If you have a contract phone with vodafone, use Vodafone, and sign up to vodafone fmaily....them you get free calls between (up to 4) the handsets.

Are you able to get a duplicate sym for your existing mobile that you could use in the car?

Nope Vodafone have stopped offering the duplicate sim.

Last edited:
Try Asda will sell you a sim for virtually nothing and i think you can transfer any existing number, the network provider for them is vodafone so uses there network backbone.

Who is the chepest PAYG Mobile phone operator in the UK?

I am looking to put a chip into a handset in the car, initially thought I would go with Vodafone as that's who I use for my contract phone, but recently thought I wonder if any of the other operators are cheaper. The handset that I am going to use is unlocked.

If you're already on Vodafone then they'll probably be cheaper on calls.

Otherwise I generally point people who need a PAYT SIM at Tesco for one of their own brand SIMs.

If you're a low usage user, Tesco. If you're a higher usage user, o2. I did a comparison of the big five plus Tesco recently for a friend who was asking the same question and was very surprised to see Tesco came out on top for low usage.

Incidentally, last time I checked, Tesco used o2's network.

ive just got a p.a.y.g from orange,less than a tenner a month for 100 txts and 300 minutes cross network AND free evening and weekend calls to landlines.

Try Asda will sell you a sim for virtually nothing and i think you can transfer any existing number, the network provider for them is vodafone so uses there network backbone.

I'm on this one, 8p/ min for calls and 4p for all texts ... suits me as a small user of calls, no set fee per month.

Cheers

:)

I use Tesco in the PAYG mobiles we have. You can get different charging sim cards with the basic value (no internet or photo option) sim or go for the more expensive ones. You get 5 favourite numbers at half the usual charge (txts and calls) making txts 5p. You can also upgrade without changing sims or your phone number if you need a different tariff. Think Tesco use the T Mobile network.

Last edited:
I have a rolling 30 day contract with O2 and get the following for £20 a month - 600 minutes, any time, any network, 1200 texts and unlimited internet browsing! Personally think this is one of the best deals at the moment.

I keep a pay-as-you-go Virgin in the car for occasional use, and for diversion:) . Reasonable rates and easy to top up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom