Paying for an item without using paypal other methods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Have found an items through a sales site (not ebay) that I have agreed to buy. Seller does not have paypal, so either bank transfer / postal order / cheque.

None of the above methods offer any guarantee to me? I'm waiting to hear if he would take a card payment.

What do people think, is there another secure way.

Its not for a huge amount at all but would rather it not end up 'lost' with nothing delivered to me.

Have you asked the seller if they are willing to create a Paypal account? It's really easy and provides you with some security so no reason for them not to do it in my view providing you cover any costs.

I can't think of anything that will provide some sort of guarantee other than Credit Card.

I am usually happy to pay in advance (bank transfer or cheque) when I trust the seller - for example someone who came recommended on the forum - and provided the amount is not significant.

If the amount is significant, just drive over to the seller - assuming he is in the UK - and pay cash...

Hello

Have found an items through a sales site (not ebay) that I have agreed to buy. Seller does not have paypal, so either bank transfer / postal order / cheque.

If it's a large amount of money collect it, otherwise send a cheque.

Its £250 and its in bournmouth and I'm a long way from there 300 miles or so...

:(

Or yes I would just collect

Perhaps a better placed forum member who you trust could act as a go-between? I would volunteer but unfortunately won't be able to get to Bournemouth until next weekend. I would have thought someone could help out here?

I suppose I might not mind Paypal as a buyer , but certainly would not entertain it as a seller ( their reputation STINKS ) with chargebacks on a whim and is a scammers paradise .

Although a lot of people here seem not to mind , and eBay UK 'force' a lot of sellers to accept it ( one of the reasons I stopped using ebay ) , you will find that in other countries , Germany being the prime example I know of from personal experience , the majority of people refuse to deal with Paypal .

At least a cheque or crossed Postal Order can be tracked to the bank account it is paid into .

I would concur, and would like to add after buying my mum a large kitchen appliance I discovered that I have now reached my spending limit??? wtf.

If I want to continue using paypal now I have to be verified which means submitting my bank account details and agree to a two way direct debit arrangement. They deposit AND withdraw a test payment.
Yeah right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom