Paying to reserve single yellow line parking in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
While parked up waiting yesterday in Notting Hill (outside The Tabernacle on Powis Square if anybody knows it) to pick somebody up, a rental car pulled up next to me and a guy with an earpiece in said he needs to park here as his production company has paid for the space. I just moved along as I spotted a parking bay down the road after that. He unloaded some filming equipment after parking there.

It is a single yellow line of about 30ft and the restrictions are permit holders only from 8am-10pm if I remember correctly.

So is it possible to pay the council (Kensington & Chelsea in this case) to reserve a space for the day?! :confused:

9u2kjr.jpg

Last edited:
yes. And parking spaces can be suspended too. I used to do camera tracking (filming from a truck basically) in London.

yes I think you can with marked bays but there would be signeage saying that the bay was suspended.

Not sure about single yellows though.

I've definitely seen bays suspended and coned off before (with clear signs) but never single yellow lines.

I moved out of rbkc years ago (would be lovely to have stayed) and successfully reserved some parking for removals, but the area was marked to demonstrate the arrangement had been made as far as I can remember.

Yes this is possible, but you can stop on most single and double yellow lines for loading/unloading which is why there would be signage to that effect even if there's no parking bay there.

I would however find such a claim suspicious if there was no sign - quite a few traders movers and builders in our area just avoid paying the council and arbitrarily 'comandeer' parking spaces.

Said that, nothing wrong in accommodating a fellow motorist if all that is required moving forward a few metres....

Wait a minute here. Regardless of circumstance you were stopped still and someone pulled up after with the authority of an ear piece and said "shift"? I know you said it was easy to move but did you not ask "who are you?", was his bluetooth ear plug bigger than yours or have I missed something here? I'm not used to London these days but if it wasn't marked off / restricted I would have at least asked the guy who the hell he was before I moved off???? You sound like a pushover???

Wait a minute here. Regardless of circumstance you were stopped still and someone pulled up after with the authority of an ear piece and said "shift"? I know you said it was easy to move but did you not ask "who are you?", was his bluetooth ear plug bigger than yours or have I missed something here? I'm not used to London these days but if it wasn't marked off / restricted I would have at least asked the guy who the hell he was before I moved off???? You sound like a pushover???
The OP was simply asking a straight question. He was clearly not unduly worried about moving. Why make assumptions about his character?

You come across as quite emotional and need to sort your keyboard out as the keys for your punctuation marks keep sticking.

Unfair on the OP. Are you suggesting that there are gangs of people roaming the streets looking for strangers who are parked up, just to claim to have a reserved parking slot? Unlikely I would have thought.

More likely is it is a simple truth and the OP moved at no trouble to himself or the other party. A good outcome.

Selling space does seem a strange practise and one that could lead to conflict in this type of scenario. I would have thought that the space would have to be marked displaying that it is not for general use due to being sold/reserved. Like you see on trains and in cinema's.

RST1979, you're going to get on alright here!

The OP has an S Class, that automatically makes him king of the road ;)

And some people say the Scots have a chip on their shoulder. :p

Wow lol. If full details are needed.... I was driving somebody who was taking part in some filming at The Tabernacle. I was parked right outside and the guy pulled up beside me, said his production company have reserved the space. I saw his coiled earpiece, (and him milling around outside the place earlier with a walkie-talkie) and drove round the block and found another space. Nothing to be gained by arguing with him!

Wow lol. If full details are needed.... I was driving somebody who was taking part in some filming at The Tabernacle. I was parked right outside and the guy pulled up beside me, said his production company have reserved the space. I saw his coiled earpiece, (and him milling around outside the place earlier with a walkie-talkie) and drove round the block and found another space. Nothing to be gained by arguing with him!

I cannot believe you were actually helpful to another human being trying to do a days work, what is the world coming to when you can't make a scene and a good punch up by being a tosspot?

Aye ya lewkin'a'me Jimmy? :rolleyes:

:D

And some people say the Scots have a chip on their shoulder. :p

Pleas don't mistake me for a Scot, I just thought it was a strange circumstance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom