Payment Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

My E320 has been sold to an Irish chap and he's wanting to pay the balance of the car before he comes over in a couple of weeks.

I've never been payed by someone from 'abroad' and just wanted any suggestions as to the best way because I seem to have brain freeze at the minute....

Thanks

Direct bank transfer or cash on collection and go to a bank to have the cash counted and put straight into an account,do not accept payment via paypal and if that is the method he wants to use the chances are it is a dodgy deal.

^^ Not necessarilly, he may just want to use his credit card to pay for it....

I agree a direct transfer into your account. Even if you have to offer to cover the cost then it would be worth it for peace of mind.

He also has your bank details should he be unsure that you're not who you say you are.

My E320 has been sold to an Irish chap and he's wanting to pay the balance of the car before he comes over in a couple of weeks.

I've never been payed by someone from 'abroad' and just wanted any suggestions as to the best way because I seem to have brain freeze at the minute....

Thanks

One and only option - bank transfer.

What's wrong with bankers draft. Are they no good these days?

How much are we talking about.

What's wrong with bankers draft. Are they no good these days?

How much are we talking about.

Bankers drafts are simply cheques written from the banks own account, and not the person who gives it to you. Before issuing, the bank will move money from the person's account and into their own, thereby they can guarantee that the cheque will NOT bounce.

Trouble is, bankers drafts are easily forged and sometimes stolen.

again, bank transfer is the only safe way to do this. They collect the car once you have seen the funds in your account.
Simples!

I seem to remember reading in Honest John's column, in the Saturday Torygraph, that the only sure fire safe way is to go to your bank with the purchaser and have him pay cash into your account.

Hi Sweetpea, glad you sold it, I hope it brought a fair price, its a cracking car. I have bought and sold a fair number of cars in my time. Cash paid at a bank is the best way,you can see it being paid in, and a good plus point is that the bank will not be fooled by clever forged notes.

Northern is classed as the UK. Down South is a republic, not sure how you would complete the V5.

Last edited:
Agree with Bobby Dazzler . There are a large number of stolen and forged bank drafts out there . Expect you come across them quite often in Doncaster :doh:

The problem is that he doesn't want to travel to England with a fair few grand in his back pocket which is understandable.

He's pretty laid back about it all to be honest, he just said he'd pay me whichever way I feel most comfortable with to be fair to him.

Hi,there is no need for him to travel with cash,when he arrives take him to his bank,collect the brass, go to your bank.:)

He's going to pay me a sizeable chunk tomorrow via western union transfer.

Forgot to say, thanks for all of your advice, it's much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom