Paypal reversal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

The man that was buying my car now says that he can't collect until mid-June :crazy: due to work commitments.

Last week he sent me a £100 deposit through Paypal and is now playing games saying that I "can just square up when I eventually sell the car".
Not wanting to show my hand too early, I said "You have left a deposit to hold the car without seeing it and now because you can't make it to me you would like a full reund?" "Yes" came the reply.

I won't be speaking to him now for a few days so what I would like to know is this; how many days does he have to reverse the payment from the original transaction?

I've been looking all over the Paypal website this morning and I simply can't find that advice would be.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

How did you sell the car? If through ebay, he has 45 days IIRC....

If it's not through ebay, I'm not sure....

How did you sell the car? If through ebay, he has 45 days IIRC....

If it's not through ebay, I'm not sure....
I ended the listing early once he had sent me a £100 deposit.
So no sale *technically* happened through eBay.

The whole point of a deposit is to show commitment on the buyers part. You have no obligation to refund it as he has now backed out and you have lost out because you ended the listing early.

He will have to open a dispute via paypal, which hopefully they would find in your favour. :rolleyes:

Alternatively you could withdraw the funds from your paypal account and then remove the existing bank account and credit card attached to your paypal account and add a new bank account with no funds in it. That way if he tries a reversal they won't be able to take anything from you.

From what I remember, the only time paypal will refund a buyer (outside of ebay) is when goods are not received.

Given that the money is a deposit and not for goods, they should find in your favour even if he files a dispute...

m.

I'm getting a bit f@cked off with it all now to be honest, I took this man on his word and once again I've ended up looking like a muppet...:eek:

You'd have thought I would have learned from the first idiot that messed me about...

It's sad but as the more this goes on the more cynical and distrusting I'm becoming.:(

Empty your paypal account, change you bank details,

Re list the car and let it run to the END of the auction no matter what people 'say'

In my mind its crazy people bid on cars without even seeing them, but I guess it happens a lot?

Let the auction run and end fairly, hopefully job done.

Let original muppet wait and open a dispute or what ever he wants to, why bid if you cannot pay or collect (at least not having agreed with you first) how far away does he live?

The 2nd buyer is from Worcester.
I originallly said that, out of courtesy, I don't mind holding the car for a week but now it would work out that would have to hold it for 4 weeks!! Before he could make it.

I've got a few phone calls to make today regarding some S211s I've seen and whether they are interested in a part exchange and if not, it will go back on the eBay tonight.

3 day auction with no reserve, I think.

Empty your paypal account, change you bank details

Paypal will side with the buyer, OP has no proof of despatch, either that or buyer will do a chargeback.

If OP empties his paypal account and it goes negative he will be banned from ebay, which not a bad thing given all the messers, but might be a problem given he's some sort of car dealer.

Paypal will side with the buyer, OP has no proof of despatch, either that or buyer will do a chargeback.

If OP empties his paypal account and it goes negative he will be banned from ebay, which not a bad thing given all the messers, but might be a problem given he's some sort of car dealer.

I sell vans.
The difference between the buyers of cars and the buyers of vans is enormous.
I've had more problems selling this one car, as I've had selling my last 10 vans...

^ Fair enough

To keep everyone happy then refund the £100 and move on, ether p/x the golf or 3 day auction as you say but try to make it end on a Saturday or Sunday evening when people will be in.

Good luck

I sell vans.
The difference between the buyers of cars and the buyers of vans is enormous.
I've had more problems selling this one car, as I've had selling my last 10 vans...

Stick to Autotrader, much less hassle, they either turn up or they don't, no phantom sales or pretend paypal money.

That said I put a van on Gumtree a few weeks back and got almost 200 phone calls on it over a weekend, - and it sold for the advertised price too.

Paypal and ebay almost always rule in the favour of the buyer, personally I'd refund the 100 quid to avoid the hassle, and then just relist it.

Selling cars privately is a nightmare, hence the popularity of part ex / we buy any car type agreements.

Paypal and ebay almost always rule in the favour of the buyer, personally I'd refund the 100 quid to avoid the hassle, and then just relist it.

Selling cars privately is a nightmare, hence the popularity of part ex / we buy any car type agreements.
Like I say, I get virtually no bother from buyers of the vans that I sell on eBay, because they are generally self-employed and have got better things to do than waste their own time and mine.
I think this car has brought me nothing but bad luck, either that or it's coincided with me having a bad run of it...:mad:

The other thing you could do is give him a partial refund, i.e. less your out of pocket expenses although in my book it still defeats the object of a deposit in the first place.

E-Bay & PayPal (same Company) are great when things go to plan. They are almost entirely buyer focused/biased when things do not go to plan. Like the OP and many others I have had items sold by auction & Buy It Now only for the buyer to pull out. Complaints to E-Bay & PayPal have resulted in endless calls and hours wasted with the end result being 100% in favour of the buyer.

I sold a set of Hamann Black powder coated wheels with individual photos of each wheel and a description listing them as "fully powder coated in BLACK"

The buyer "Buy It Now" then refused to pay the full amount saying..... He did not realise that they were BLACK !!!!!

E-Bay told me and I quote " you may as well walk away. He will not pay and opening a dispute will take weeks in which time you couild have re-sold the wheels. If in the mean time you do sell the wheels with a dispute open? you will lose the dispute as you now do not have the wheels."

Keep the deposit and challenge e-bay/PayPal to take you to court for it. Tell them to ban the buyer.

The whole point of a deposit is to show commitment on the buyers part. You have no obligation to refund it as he has now backed out and you have lost out because you ended the listing early.

He will have to open a dispute via paypal, which hopefully they would find in your favour. :rolleyes:

Alternatively you could withdraw the funds from your paypal account and then remove the existing bank account and credit card attached to your paypal account and add a new bank account with no funds in it. That way if he tries a reversal they won't be able to take anything from you.

Thats what I would do

Personally I'd refund and move on.

Unless you have some legal paperwork and the deposit is held with a solicitor it's basically considered a "refundable" deposit. It goes against what you think a deposit is for (commitment to buy!) but that's life.

Life's too short to get too uptight over £100. If it was me I'd refund it and chalk it down to life's rich tapestry of experiences.

Then go to a voodoo dr and put a curse on him. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom