Payslips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
My mob have stopped sending out printed payslips and we now have to view them on Oracle.

Can I insist on a printed payslip?

I work from home and they used to post it to my house.

Because I'm not allowed by IT policy to install a printer on my laptop and they are too tight to supply one, I can't print it either.

Any ideas from the HR community?

I would have thought they would at least offer to email a pdf/other version of it to yourself - seems almost pointless having one at all if you can't take it with you to banks etc when needed...

Have a look here:
Employer FAQ - Electronic Payslips

Relevant bit:

MRC states: “Even if you have been giving your employees electronic payslips, you must give your employees a paper form P60 at the end of the tax year. You must not, by law, give them P60 details electronically for them to print off.” (See Guide to filing PAYE forms online and paying electronically, paragraph 6.15, at HM Revenue & Customs: Error page could not be found) (Note: It will be lawful to provide P60s electronically from the end of the 2010/11 tax year.)

There is clearly an acceptance by HMRC that providing electronic payslips is permissible. No help is provided by the DTI and Acas however; the guidance on their websites makes no reference to electronic payslips (see links below).

Further down though, it states:

Employees without printing facilities, or who have privacy concerns about printing their payslip on a network printer, may need to be given paper payslips instead. A further practical problem is that a payslip printed out by an employee may not be accepted as valid proof of earnings for mortgage, loan, work permit or other status purposes, requiring the employer to make special arrangements to supply copy payslips or to sign and stamp the employee’s payslip.

We've had this for a while now, although the majority do not have the issue about printing from home.

I've had a couple of reportees ask about getting paper payslips as they work in areas where printers, etc, are not allowed. Our corporate view is that, if needed, the company will provide hard copies for presentation to mortgage companies, etc. I've had no problems with my printouts when I've needed to present them.

Could you not install something like Primo and create a PDF, or do a screen grab and save as a jpg? You could then email to a home machine that allows you to print.

Have a look here:
Employer FAQ - Electronic Payslips

Relevant bit:

MRC states: “Even if you have been giving your employees electronic payslips, you must give your employees a paper form P60 at the end of the tax year. You must not, by law, give them P60 details electronically for them to print off.” (See Guide to filing PAYE forms online and paying electronically, paragraph 6.15, at HM Revenue & Customs: Error page could not be found) (Note: It will be lawful to provide P60s electronically from the end of the 2010/11 tax year.)

There is clearly an acceptance by HMRC that providing electronic payslips is permissible. No help is provided by the DTI and Acas however; the guidance on their websites makes no reference to electronic payslips (see links below).

Further down though, it states:

Employees without printing facilities, or who have privacy concerns about printing their payslip on a network printer, may need to be given paper payslips instead. A further practical problem is that a payslip printed out by an employee may not be accepted as valid proof of earnings for mortgage, loan, work permit or other status purposes, requiring the employer to make special arrangements to supply copy payslips or to sign and stamp the employee’s payslip.

You should be able to insist on password protected (to prevent anyone else seeing the content) locked (to prevent unauthorised alterations) and digitally signed PDF forms. (to assure you that they are from a legitimate source) If the company are unwilling to put the measures in place, as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips.

Could you not install something like Primo and create a PDF said:
They won't let us install anything on the laptop - not even a printer or camera

When viewing in Oracle is there not an option to create a pdf and email?

As mentioned, you should be able to request a printed one from your HR dept. if you need it (i.e. on an occasional basis).

We've only had online payslips for some years now, but there is an option to get a printed copy (which is produced centrally and mailed to your recorded home address).

You should be able to insist on password protected (to prevent anyone else seeing the content) locked (to prevent unauthorised alterations) and digitally signed PDF forms. (to assure you that they are from a legitimate source) If the company are unwilling to put the measures in place, as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips.

Ah yes ...... paper payslips are so much more secure :rolleyes:

And for good measure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ah yes ...... paper payslips are so much more secure :rolleyes:

And for good measure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:doh:

From the OP: Can I insist on a printed payslip?

I was responding to the OPs request in a manner which I felt was as useful as it could be, given the limited information available. I did not express any opinion about the utility or security of paper versus digital because the thread was not inviting a discourse apropos the benefits and disadvantages of either method of delivering and storing payslips.

Your somewhat emphatic use of rolleyes was not accompanied with the tags which would have demonstrated that you are an outstanding wit. Absent any sign that you were attempting to be funny, I conclude that your English comprehension skill is in need of honing.

In the vernacular: you acted like a (insert your own choice of insulting phrase)

jepho: you said:
as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips.
Dryce was merely pointing out that paper slips are less secure than electronic slips, and that your comment of "paper...as the minimum requirement for personal security" would be irrelevant as the Oracle e-slips are much more secure than paper... even if not an encrypted/signed/etc PDF...

Lighten up, apparently you can goto jail for trolling nowadays :p
M.

jepho: you said:

Dryce was merely pointing out that paper slips are less secure than electronic slips, and that your comment of "paper...as the minimum requirement for personal security" would be irrelevant as the Oracle e-slips are much more secure than paper... even if not an encrypted/signed/etc PDF...

Lighten up, apparently you can goto jail for trolling nowadays :p
M.

I had written "If the company are unwilling to put the measures in place, as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips."

Your truncated quotation changes the meaning entirely. Of course, you are fully entitled to write whatever you wish and I have no quarrel with that. If you are quoting someone, it is generally desirable not to selectively quote material out of context.

Perhaps selective quoting on the internet should become a new offence meriting incarceration. :p

Last edited:
Speaking of security ...

Many years ago I supported factory payroll systems for a large frozen food company. The package we used had a rudimentary reporting language, which the payroll manager at each site was trained (by the software vendor) to use for ad hoc queries etc.

After a review meeting at one factory the manager proudly showed me the report he'd just written. They had two or three competing trade unions there, and he'd done a list for one of them showing each employee's earnings (including overtime etc.) and the union contributions deducted. He went white as a sheet when I pointed out that he hadn't selected on membership of that particular union - the report showed all staff!

He rang security at the main gate and managed to get the union rep. stopped just as he was driving out. I was taken out for a very nice lunch (at The Lamb, Eastbourne) next time I was down, rather than eating in the canteen!

I had written "If the company are unwilling to put the measures in place, as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips."

Your truncated quotation changes the meaning entirely. Of course, you are fully entitled to write whatever you wish and I have no quarrel with that. If you are quoting someone, it is generally desirable not to selectively quote material out of context.

Perhaps selective quoting on the internet should become a new offence meriting incarceration. :p

Apologies, selective quoting was my fault... but the line
"If the company are unwilling to put the measures in place, as the minimum requirement for your personal security, then you should be able to insist on being given paper payslips."

still implies that paper payslips are more secure than the e-payslips ;)

Jail? Right now... bring it on! It would certainly beat having to deal with my clients right now...

M.

Your somewhat emphatic use of rolleyes was not accompanied with the tags which would have demonstrated that you are an outstanding wit.

The rolleyes were literal.

There was no wit (outstanding or otherwise) intended.

Absent any sign that you were attempting to be funny, I conclude that your English comprehension skill is in need of honing.

And I wasn't being funny.

I was being sarcastic. And with good reason.

Dryve/Jepho - just re-read my own post... it came across much more serious than intended!

I'm having a rough day, trying to reply to someone (that should know better), that what he is proposing is idiotic... without making him look bad in front of the 12 people he cc'ed on his email... Problem is, his email is worded to make my entire team look bad... and he's the customer...

Sigh...

So anyhow, point is, my comments were meant to be a bit light-hearted... one day I'll find a solution to this disease called "work" :p

M.

I'm having a rough day, trying to reply to someone (that should know better), that what he is proposing is idiotic... without making him look bad in front of the 12 people he cc'ed on his email... Problem is, his email is worded to make my entire team look bad... and he's the customer...

M.

Ah. You're in IT then.

IT Security...

How'd you guess? :p

(wow, this is a serious thread hyjack! Apologies OP!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom