pc not booting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepe

Car
c250 td 1998
just finished building new celeron based pc and cant get it to boot. my previous amd system did the same at the end and as i wanted to build a new one anyway just thought i would . apart from hard drive and dvd writer and memory everything is new ( motherboard,processor etc) the memory is the only part of the old system being used in this new one and as its doing the same as my old one am i right to suspect this. the tower switches on and the fan starts spinning but thats it , the screen remains as if on standby, could this be caused by faulty memory or should i at least see something on screen even if memory is faulty ?
thanks in advance

Double check the manual for the motherboard and make sure all the pins are in the right place. I've built a few where the same thing happened and found that it was defaulting to some weird setting that was not supported by either the memory or the processor.

Also try removing one of the memory sticks (if you have 2) and try again with one and then the other. Sometimes a blown memory can cause a boot failure but rarely. Double check that the memory you have put on this new motherboard is supported.

Dont you normally get about 4 beeps if there is a memory fault. I know you can tell straight away for sure when you turn them on.

all jumpers seem fine and have tried reseating memory, if i take memory out should i at least still see something on screen ? it tower switches on and processor fan spins but dont get any beeps and screen remains in standby mode.

Check the power supply connectors are seated properly. Check the wires for the case's switches are correctly connected to your motherboard. i.e. make sure you havent got reset & power crossed or anything else funny. Try firing it up using your old power supply perhaps, to rule the PSU out. (Just because the fans come on doesnt mean its perfect).

Do you have anything else on the motherboard - any PCI cards etc? Take everything out you can. Try taking out and reseating your CPU, just to be sure thats OK.

The favourite is still memory. The beep codes might be an indication on some motherboards that there is a fault, but not all - some will just sit there which is exactly what you're seeing.. Just because the memory fits in the slot doesnt mean its the right memory. Might be worth asking the supplier of your board to supply you with 256Mb of memory to check it with.

What motherboard / CPU combination are you using?

Good luck!

have tried swapping power supplies and the problem still remained, as i said before i had this problem on my previous pc which i was planning to dump anyway and the memory is the only part of the old system that ive got in the new system, whilst trying to remove fan from old system my screwdriver slipped and whacked memory which i why i think its that, ive ordered some new memory (crucial) so will give that a go. the motherboard is a brand new asus with new celeron 2.4 cpu.

pepe said:
whilst trying to remove fan from old system my screwdriver slipped and whacked memory which i why i think its that, ive ordered some new memory (crucial) so will give that a go. the motherboard is a brand new asus with new celeron 2.4 cpu.

Think you have answered your own question there :)

If it was an exclusive ram fault you would see/hear error messages/beeps. Fan activity without anything else is most likey a poor conection to the cpu (more common on slotted types or chip, but bent or non seated pins pins on sockets is not unheard of) or the 12v 4pin power is not connected.

Ram is more resiliant than the textbooks would have you believe, unless you phyically damaged it it maywell be okay) if it is physically damaged this may have shorted your mobo. Speaking of Mobo this or the CPU are the most likely causes of your issue.

My advice would be to contact the supplier of the Mobo tell them it has no POST, ideal if you got the CPU from the same supplier.

Last edited:
It was indeed the ram, installed new ram and now fine, I was not getting any beeps or even the bios screen, but now everything is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom