PC repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smiley

MB Enthusiast
Our PC stopped working this week, I self diagnosed the PSU as the problem but was not 100% confident as I was told it could be a failed motherboard causing the PSU not to switch on.
So I gave it to the husband of a good friend of my wife who fixes PCs as a hobby / pt business. He confirmed that it was the PSU and he had changed it - only taken him half an hour easy job so it would only be £15 for his labour and £45 for the PSU. I commented that the PSU sounded a lot but not knowing too much paid him the £60 and the PC is fine. The first bit that irritated slightly is that they are long time good friends who we have helped out and been quite (very) hospitable to over the years - the other bit that grated was the fact that I had just lent them our camcorder and then transferred the tape onto DVD - which had taken about an hour of course.
If it were me I would have said no probs no charge other than the PSU - give me the £45 - anyway because of this I popped the side off had a look at the PSU looked the exact model on the web - imagine my surprise between £12 and £20 - certainly not £45.
At the end of the day £60 is £60 it is not life threatening but it is all the twists to this that have left a sour taste in my mouth.
Rant over - I will probably just forget about it and bear it in mind for the future - now I know that I am not dealing with a family friend it is just a business transaction and watch out.
By the way I would nt have minded if he had said the PSU was £20 but it was a bit of a fiddle and he had cleaned it all out and done a check so it was £60 altogether - I would have been happy - it is being misled that has got to me.
What would you do?

What I Would Do Remember It For The Next Time And Charge Him For What You Do To Him My Wifes Friends Are The Same I Am A Taxi Driver Sometimes For Them And A Atm But No Interest Is Paid Back To Me And They Would Pay It Back In Dribbs And Drabs But Afford To Go Out Drinking On The Week End And Take My Wife With Them So It Costs Me Even More And They Have The Check To COMPLAIN WHEN I Buy Things For The Car Especially When I Don't Drink Dry Now For 2 Years

If You Ever Need A Computer Question Or Problem Fixed Ask Me Question I Fix Computers As Well But I Can't Charger You For Free Advice And Repair I Live In Northern Ireland

If You Ever Need A Computer Question Or Problem Fixed Ask Me Question I Fix Computers As Well But I Can't Charger You For Free Advice And Repair I Live In Northern Ireland

scooter, there is no need to capitalize every word.

Thanks!

Cheers
Chris

i don't know what has happened in that but my keyboard is playing funny bugger with 1 minute it will type one thing next it will types something else sorry about that

wow a keyboard that automatically presses the "shift" key with every new word :)

a decent computer engineer could fix that for you :D

Last edited:
so is it just me or is it when somebody offers to help other people have to be pricks or try to be funny

wow a keyboard that automatically presses the "shift" key with every new word :)

a decent computer engineer could fix that for you :D

:D

The forum software automatically does the cap thing on each word if the whole post is typed in caps.

What would you do?

It's annoying but you did mention the guy has a part time business fixing PC's, so it's a slightly different kettle of fish than a personal favour.

He may have bought the PSU at a higher price than you saw it for, perhaps from a local shop. Even if bought online, there would have been a hefty delivery charge.

There is an advantage in him charging, as it means he's obliged to fix it if it goes wrong again.

The Forum Softwe Automatically Dose The Cap Thing On Each Word If The Whole Post Is Typed In Caps.

Dec
Yes Rory that works if it is all typed in caps.

Last edited:
Caps

Just Testing, Yep That Appears TO BE THE CASE. UNLESS YOU GO BACK AND EDIT LATER-

Cool you learn something new everyday.:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom