PCMCIA to <Various> Adapters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveG_UK

Car
W221 S320CDI
Hi
Thought I'd share my pain and anguish, and try to save you the same. I was trying to use memory cards for audio in my 2006 W221 S-Class (UK). I wanted to use 'modern' cards (that I could use on other devices) so have run the gamut of adapters. If they don't work, the error shown on the car's display is 'unknown audio/video format'.

The one that does work
PCMCIA to Compact Flash from Sparttechnik (German company). Works perfectly with 8GB Compact Flash card (formatted FAT32). This appears to be a genuine Mercedes adapter. I've not tried with anything larger since it'd be a little pointless - the 4000 track limit is reached pretty easily even on 8GB (unless you sample at ludicrous bit rates).

And now the stuff that doesn't work ...

'Extreme MicroSD to Compact Flash I adapter' - Using this with the PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter - it doesn't work. Whether small (256MB FAT16) or large (16GB FAT32) - zilch.

'NEW Original Mercedes-Benz PCMCIA TO SD PC CARD ADAPTER Support SDHC up to 32GB'
That's the description on E-Bay. I'm really annoyed about this one. It looks like Mercedes with the star logo - but I doubt it.
It will only work with an SD card formatted FAT16 - so 2GB max. So is totally useless. My complaint to the seller received the response 'Your car must be too old - have a nice day'. The car understands FAT32 (the 8GB CF card shows that) but that cut no ice with our Chinese friend.

And along the way I've bought umpteen variants of SD, SDHC, MicroSD - so have a box of adapters and cards that'll never be used.

Ah well - rant over

Steve

I believe MB had an early PCMCIA to SD card adapter that did not support SD-HC cards, just like Sandisk did but the later morels support SD-HC cards. I don't know how to identify the MB part, on a Sandisk you can find it if SD-HC is printed on the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom