PCN (Parking Charge Notice) Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Hi

The lad has just had a PCN for parking at the local 10 pin bowling in Stirling for 1 hour and 38 minutes.

Good news is he had booked online for 2 games of bowling so has his receipt for paying for the bowling.

He has either forgot to enter his registration in the Ipad type thing they have inside or has entered this wrong.

Should he bother responding or just bin it?

My first instinct is to never respond to anything that is private and nothing more than a speculative invoice.

Scotland differs from England (for the time being, anyway) as there is no mechanism for the private parking company (PPC) to transfer liability from the driver - i.e. the person who enters the contract to park - to the Registered Keeper, so unless the PPC has evidence that your son was actually driving they have no evidence as to the identity of who they should claim against. If your son does respond he may give them that information, so the advice is generally to ignore it but to retain it and any and all further correspondence. Binning documents that may be a precursor to legal action (however remote it may be) is never a good idea.

For more information and expert current advice, your son would do well to sign up to the PePiPoo forums and ask the question there.

Ignore it, from my experience the worst thing they'll do is send another couple of letters, then pass it to a debt collector, don't ever respond to them and after a while they will give up trying too.

Haven't the the rules about 'mistakes' become more lenient now? For example entering your reg number incorrectly should now be a reason to have the PCN squashed.

Thanks, will keep the letter (PCN) along with the receipt for the time at the bowling in a drawer in case it comes to anything further.

Email the bowling alley with a photo of the receipt and explain the issue provide reg. They will update the system with the parking company. This will go away. You can then forget about it forever and won't be continually hassled.
Getting the bowling alley on side is the quickest route to resolution.

Getting the bowling alley on side is the quickest route to resolution.
Agreed, but there is a risk that the PPC refuse to play ball (no pun intended), and by making a representation to their principal they may then have the information they need regarding identity of who to claim against.

I emailed AMF on their generic email address, got a prompt reply within 30 minutes saying they would forward to the centre.

Then a reply from the centre within 30 minutes explaining they are having problems with new system (staff not explaining it) and "fine" will be cancelled and I need "take no further action".

Quite impressed with AMF, nothing more for me to do now, thanks folks. ^^

If its not the council please completely ignore it.

I understand it is OK to ignore debt collectors, but not a Notice To Keeper/Notice prior to Court Action from for example Parking Eye. There is a strong likelihood that will go to court and you'll end up with a CCJ. See above for a Facebook group which seems to be very useful

I understand it is OK to ignore debt collectors, but not a Notice To Keeper/Notice prior to Court Action from for example Parking Eye. There is a strong likelihood that will go to court and you'll end up with a CCJ. See above for a Facebook group which seems to be very useful
Not sure if it’s the same in Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed AMF on their generic email address, got a prompt reply within 30 minutes saying they would forward to the centre.

Then a reply from the centre within 30 minutes explaining they are having problems with new system (staff not explaining it) and "fine" will be cancelled and I need "take no further action".

Quite impressed with AMF, nothing more for me to do now, thanks folks. ^^

Remember to print their emails and keep in your drawer with your receipt and PCN. Just "belt and braces"

kc

It's worked for me and plenty of people I know, so possibly not the worst action at all.
Good luck, and keep an eye on your credit report for the next 6 years...

Good luck, and keep an eye on your credit report for the next 6 years...
I've actually been doing that and it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom