PCP coming to an end....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What would happen to the car if you opt to hand it back and walk away ( as I understand you can ) ?

Does it go into the MB Approved Used stock , or just go to auction ?

If the latter , it might be cheaper to hand it back , then go and buy it at the auction - bearing in mind how much you'd be prepared to bid .

They give it to BCA to auction off. This happened to my E250, they collect inspect and then BCA take control.

So you are back with the E350 :) I do think the 3.0 litre V6 diesels are great engines. Getting great MPG from mine and the Torque/power is the sweat and enough for me for now.

Once I purchase mine out right I might treat it to a few things. Remap / rear lip spoiler that I've seen on others which isn't on mine, remove the bluetec badge as they is a lot of chrome lettering going on. And maybe some better brakes as I'd like a bit more bite.

What a car btw 997 C4S , are you not missing that???!!

I miss it every day... That said the E350 is livelier than I remembered it to be and it is nice to have a roof which disappears so all in all I'm quite happy. Even though I didn't get it to be a 'quick car' I am considering a remap.

All superfluous badges were removed the moment I got it home.

After the lease is up, why aren't the cars sold direct to dealers rather than auctioning?

I would have thought the trade value would be better than what an auction would fetch or does the auction reveal the true trade value at that moment in time?

I was on a job recently and got talking to one of the construction managers.

He told me that he has a PCP on a C63 and a GLE. He got them lumped in together and pays £799 for the pair per month. So he says!!

He also seems to think he will get his deposit back at the end of the term.

After the lease is up, why aren't the cars sold direct to dealers rather than auctioning?

I would have thought the trade value would be better than what an auction would fetch or does the auction reveal the true trade value at that moment in time?

Closed auctions, Joe public cannot rock up and buy.

tylerdurden said:
Pay final fee and keep car is the cheapest thing to do if you feel the car is keeper. Keep a car for 9 years and tot up the total cost of motoring vs 3 new cars on 3year pcp deals. The difference is eye watering. The entire new car finance buisness model is designed to try and convince you otherwise

The final fee is £17,725+ £95 purchase fee. I have £7k that I'm going to put down and finance the rest. There is nothing in my price range that tickles my fancy. So gonna purchase this and if I do change my mind I'm in a much better position.

David404 said:
PCP will work well for some if they want a new car every 2-3 years, do a modest mileage AND they have high confidence that their financial circumstances will be stable for the medium term and by that I mean for the next 3-5 years. General rule of thumb - a car will loose 50% of its value every 3 years so its not rocket science to work out where the sweet spot is for you given your perceived financial outlook and other financial commitments over the medium term. If you like the car, believe you will be happy with it for another 2-3 years (possibly with some updates) and its been reliable then buying at end of term will make sense. this may also be your best bet if you are less than confident of financial circumstances or see other financial priorities on the medium term horizon, moving house, kids arriving, kids going to Uni, weddings (yours or kids), building extensions... We are in uncertain times and when the BoE / financial press comment about debt PCP always gets a mention.

I do have my first child on the way. Due date is the same date my 4 year pcp ends. People are saying I should be getting a Citroen Picasso. Im just pleased I'm still in love with the car. When I purchased it I knew this was gonna be longer than a 4 year thing.

Have you looked to see if your car is actually worth the GMFV? If it's not, I wouldn't recommend buying it and paying over the odds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on a job recently and got talking to one of the construction managers.

He told me that he has a PCP on a C63 and a GLE. He got them lumped in together and pays £799 for the pair per month. So he says!!

He also seems to think he will get his deposit back at the end of the term.

Behave! He has constructed a great fabrication of the truth there mate!

I do have my first child on the way. Due date is the same date my 4 year pcp ends. People are saying I should be getting a Citroen Picasso. Im just pleased I'm still in love with the car. When I purchased it I knew this was gonna be longer than a 4 year thing.

Hope your missus isn't like my ex who used to moan about me having a coupe and a fitted child car seat...

c43amg84 said:
Hope your missus isn't like my ex who used to moan about me having a coupe and a fitted child car seat...

Hahaha. She already has mentioned me getting a more practical car but I don't want one. I'll manage with a coupe , I know a few that do and say it's fine.

She must of been terrible for moaning is this why she is your ex ?

JBD said:
Have you looked to see if your car is actually worth the GMFV? If it's not, I wouldn't recommend buying it and paying over the odds Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I rang Merc Finance and they confirmed the GMFV I need to pay is exactly the same as what Merc quoted me when I purchased the car.

Wish I could haggle them on that price, has anyone tried ??? Hehe

Yeah I rang Merc Finance and they confirmed the GMFV I need to pay is exactly the same as what Merc quoted me when I purchased the car.

Wish I could haggle them on that price, has anyone tried ??? Hehe

No, that's not what I was asking. Have you looked whether your car is actually worth that amount in the used car market? Sometimes the GMFV can be a bit strong, in which case, it may be better to hand back

Hahaha. She already has mentioned me getting a more practical car but I don't want one. I'll manage with a coupe , I know a few that do and say it's fine.

One of the many reasons she is an ex!

2 Group 3 car seats fit quite easily in the back,my two grandchildren can get in. & out with no hassle.My mother in law on th other hand......

My wife handed her 2014 C250 estate back in June....the dealer took it rather than finance company as they will be selling it on rather than auction. Had no further contact since then ...despite a few 'flaws'! although we bought a trade in golf 1.4tsi to replace it for the dealer.

No, that's not what I was asking. Have you looked whether your car is actually worth that amount in the used car market? Sometimes the GMFV can be a bit strong, in which case, it may be better to hand back

And equally, it may be on the low side in which case either you are buying a bargain or you will have some equity in the car if you wanted to trade it in against something else. Have you put the details into WeBuyAnyCar or the like? That will give you a ballpark figure of what the meanest dealer would offer you as trade in.

That's a valid point but there is also value in knowing the history of a car against the cost of another example with an unknown history.

BTW - Congrats on the expected new arrival although you will discover that kids have horrific running costs! :D

When my son was born ( he celebrated his 9th birthday a couple of weeks back ) I soon found out that my 190E 2.6 just wasn't big enough to comfortably cope with infant carriers , prams and all the other baby stuff .

Then there was talk of people carriers , estate cars ( I'd just had a succession of W123 and W124 estate cars and , good as they are , wasn't in the mood for another one ) .

I needed a car with ample boot and good access through rear doors , safe for carrying precious cargo , and , from my own point of view , something decent to drive ...... answer ........ W 126 500SEL :D:rock::thumb:

Oops

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom