Pda Gps

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by UKEvo, Feb 26, 2004.

1. UKEvo

UKEvo Active Member

Car:
    1972 300 SEL 6.3
    Can anyone recommend a PDA/GPS combination that's the best around at the moment - for UK use? We've been looking at iPAQ with CoPilot/TomTom etc. Will need a cradle, voice directions etc. Are they a pain in the backside? Do you constantly have to download maps etc with these units? For example if we're mid trip then have to go somewhere else and the map isn't in the unit?..

2. sym

sym MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Sport
    Moving to electronics section.

The iPAQ tends to be a popular choice. Even an older version of it is fine (3630 upwards) Navman is another popular software package

Navman and TomTom both come with all that you need, especially the Navman which has a GPS receiver built into the Compact Flash Jacket. TomTom has a separate GPS receiver.

a 128Mb Compact Flash card will be enough to store maps for the whole of the UK, so no need to download extra maps each time you travel.

Plenty of info on this topic, so do a search. www.pocketgps.co.uk is also a good site / forum to look at.

S.

3. RichardM

RichardM MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 CLS350 CDI
    Navman don't seem very good at updating their software or maps. I think if I was looking again I'd look at one of the alternatives like TomTom. As Simon said pocketgps is a good reference.

Tags: