PDA or Mini Laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I need to buy a new portable IT solution to take with me to clients, I cant decide if I should go for a PDA such as the iPAQ or to go for a mini sized laptop.

I don't need it to be very powerfull as all its guna do is run office and internet explorer. Plus its not guna be a desktop replacement.

I do want it to be small, coz i hate carry things. So long as it can fit it into a briefcase then thats good enough for me.

Finally both solutions must be Wifi compliant.

My real concern is that I dont want to buy a PDA and find that it can do what i need to do and I dont want to buy a laptop and then find out I dont use half the extra facilities.

Regards

Tan

my brother has a libretto (sp)- funky full laptop effect in a quater of the size.

takes std size laptop hdds as well (sub 9.5mm thick iirc...)

no wifi on board but has pcmcia holes..

Guy

Who makes that?

I did a google, and it came up with Toshiba, but then couldnt find it on their site.

Cheers for that, I think that all in all I am better of with the Laptop as its has more uses plus can get the Vodafone 3G card that gives downloads at 7 times the speed of dialup, which is good for a portable solution.

oh - libretto no longer made - maybe somthing similar?

i find having a keyboard / pcmcia slot and proper hdd a major bonus - and the libretto can fit in a (big Barbour size) pocket..

I use a Compaq Armada M300 as a personal laptop - extremely light, has PCMCIA slot for my Wifi card, and they are cheap and cheerful on eBay ! Replaced by the Evo n400c now, I think, if you are looking to buy brand new.

S.

How about an O2 XDA2?

It does everything and i think you can even get a VGA output for it now as well :eek:

Libretto is still made but only sold in Japan AFAIK. A UK sourced alternative might be the JVC mini-note or the Sony Vaio TR1MP?

If you just need a device for when you're on the road, have you considered a Blackberry?

I swear by them... always on email, web access and access to local file servers for a fixed price - plus its a phone.

They are so good they are already etting the nickname "crackberry" :devil:

Hi

Ok, I think I have decided to go for a mini laptop, either a 10" or maximum 12". I really like the Sony ones. So now the next hurdle, as its not guna be used all the time I don't want to spend a fortune, so anyone know of a good place to get secondhand machines. I don't really want to buy from E-bay as these are the type of items that may be stolen.

Regards

Tan

Don't exclude the IBM ThinkPad X-series models.

K

I think that i will end up going for something non sony as they are generally cheaper, but would like sony. have seen a 9" machine with crusoe 666mhz processor and 12gb hd and 128 ram for £412, but dunno if to wait to find an intel chipped machine

Hi Dude,
Check out this niffty Ultra Portbale PC.....

OqO uPC :rock:

Cool: shame theres no built in DVD drive (That would go in the car great)

Any idea of a cost yet?

I have solved my dilema by purchasing a Toshiba Portege, its a 12" machine but is very light weight and has good battery life.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Tan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom