PDA (xda2?) help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Greetings, I'mm trying to kill 3 pigeons with one stone here.... I need a new mobile, gps and pda; so I've seen things like the XDA2, the imate and a few others, but never can figure out if they have gps navigation software. Does anyone know?

Does anyone have anything that does all three and is happy with them? (or really hates them and wants to warn me from buying them?)

Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks,
Michele

All of the current generation pocketpc phones can run software including Tomtom, either by attaching a serial gps unit or via bluetooth.

The new model's with the slide out keyboard are proving popular with many.

Spinal said:
Greetings, I'mm trying to kill 3 pigeons with one stone here.... I need a new mobile, gps and pda; so I've seen things like the XDA2, the imate and a few others, but never can figure out if they have gps navigation software. Does anyone know?

Does anyone have anything that does all three and is happy with them? (or really hates them and wants to warn me from buying them?)

Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks,
Michele

You should be able to install tomtom and use with the bluetooth gps reciever as they both run pocket pc OS. Was thinking of getting an Imate also once my current contract runs out :D

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119630

xda

I have the xda 1 with tom tom 3 sat nav very good ... navigation phone and pda all in one suits me

I've got the XDA IIs (with slide out keyboard) and am working on getting TomTom. The XDA IIs does not have integrated GPS and only has one SD slot and no compact flash. You either need a bluetooth GPS receiver or a serial (wired) receiver.

I haven't decided which way to go (probably wired). There is a new device coming out toward the summer which is a phone / PDA with integrated keyboard and includes GPS and bundled TomTom! I can't say too much at the moment as I've signed an NDA but I'll check the web and see if anything has been leaked.

I have a boxed 02 XDA II that I couldn't get on with and went back to my trusty mobile and HP2210 for TomTom... All I'd need to get is the unlock code if anyone is interested in it. If not I'll probably ebay it as they are going for good money on there...

Hi...

Make me a decent offer...

any idea of prices yet?

Madferrit said:
any idea of prices yet?

I read somewhere £450 off line but I am sure it will be subsidised if you get it @ the same time as a contract....

Sounds reasonable... currently got an XDA2.. and love the use of Pocket PC.. but not sure the new XDA is what i'm looking for. Will keep an eye out...

If anyone is interested in purchasing a XDA2 which has stood the test of a few accidental drops onto concrete.. PMsg me pls :D (still works in perfect condition!)

I'm back! I was planning my trip back home; and realised that this would be the right time to buy the gps; especially having seen the hw6500 release date to be soon. I then realised another concern, GPS software and time. I would need the "thing" by mid june at the very latest. I can't seem to find precise release dates for the hw6500, any ideas?

Secondly, for the software, does anyone know what GPS software its gonna use?

Thirdly, as I'm trying to do something I've never done before (i.e. planning :p ) does anyone know of a GPS software that not only incorporates England, France and Italy, but also has an option to avoid toll roads in France?

Just had a quick browse and noticed TomTom does western Europe maps. I know some of you have a TomTom, what are your impressions of is?
Thanks Again,
Michele

Last edited:
scottishc280 said:
wheelie

can you give an idea of what you are looking for for the XDA?

thanks

If you need to "crack" the XDA for use away from O", my boss has hacked his to run with Voda and I can have a word. Mind, I guess there are cracks everywhere on the web.

mark.t said:
I have the xda 1 with tom tom 3 sat nav very good ... navigation phone and pda all in one suits me

Are you using a wired gps or bluetooth? I ask because I wonder how usefull this is as a phone when driving (handsfree BT needed) and running satnav at the same time. Or do you just not worry about calls when using it for satnav?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom