Pda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am looking for a PDA / PDA Phone

Does anyone have any recommendations? Must have WiFi

O2 XDA Mini s

Best I've had so far (and has been 4 months now, which is long term for me !!)

S.

Yes go to O2, Shop and then 3g. The new XDA looks pretty impressive.

I've been tinkering with my XDA since I got it. Works very well. No complaints, and much improved after a firmware upgrade.

Hi Tan,

First question is have you used a PDA before, if so what Operating System, see below. Do you have a phone manufacturer preference, i.e. Nokia or none. Do you want buttons or touch screen dialing? The latter is important from the point that greasy fingers dialing on screen can be annoying (read fingerprints) when using the screen for writing/viewing.

I'm a fan of Sony Ericssons. Got a P900, have considered the P910, and am now waiting for the P990 (Wi-Fi enabled), due May this year. SEs run Symbian OS, and the P990 will run Symbian OS 9.1 UIQ 3.0. The OS will be a big factor and will probably help you ultimately deicde what to go for.
Other options will be a Treo which (I think) run Plam OS though don't know which version. Give them all a try they all have their quirks.

You then need to consider what if anything you wish to synchronise with, Outlook Express, Outlook, Lotus Notes, ... Check for support of your favourite mail tool, address book, calendar, other tools (journal, jotter).
Will you want to synch with 2 PCs or just one (some restrictions on this)?

Just some of my considerations, so hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you want a Windows Mobile device the o2 XDA mini S (aka QTEK 9100) is fantastic. Had mine for almost 5 or 6 months now and can't honestly fault it.

I think that I have decided on the QTEK 9100 on vodafone, it was that or an HP Ipaq phone / pda.

The next question is do I pay the £300 for it off line or extended my existing contract by 22 months to get it as an upgrade or buy it on a new contract.

Depends on whether you pay your phonebills or not ! I don't, so got it on the lowest monthly tarrif with O2 (needed a new contract for wife, anyway), paid a small amount (;)) for the XDA, and its unlocked from factory so use with my Vodafone work SIM.

Don't touch the iPAQ ones .. I've had two now, and both were worse than useless to use as a phone. The XDA / 9100 is much more reliable. The Nokia Communicator (9500) was a much better phone, but the browser / PDA functions were not so impressive, so that didn't last long either !

S.

Well Sym looks like you have done all my hardwork for me,

Its off to the shops after work tonight... to get teh XDA / QTEK 9100

Thanks guys

Hi

Still no new phone, can't seem to get hold of the QTEK 9100, according to vodafone they wont be back in stock until the middle of May! The stores are impossible to contact so have to try and get into one to check their stock levels.

After my old BlackBerry committed suicide by hurling itself under my foot got a replacement in the shape of an Blackberry 8700g on an offer from T-mobile.

Lot better than the old one and the colour screen is great. Certainly interfaces really well with my email account. Thought the keyboard was too small to start with but it is actually very easy to use even with fat fingers.

http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/hardware/2150101/blackberry-8700g

I've had a Palm Treo 650 for a year now. Robust (dropped it a few times!), reliable, keyboard for quick typing (I use Word, Excel on it daily), Bluetooth, WiFi, IR. All in all, I'd recommend one every time.

Link still doesn't work for me.

Tan, PM me if you want to buy mine (O2 XDA Mini S). I'm not using it anymore (got sony ericcson W810i). It's got a 2GB card installed as well and of course is all boxed hunky dory. That way if you don't like it, you can always recover all/most of your money.

My QTEK 9000 arrived today, though very nice I don't think I will be able to live with the size of it, so its guna have to go back. Definately want the Qtek 9100 / XDA mini now.

Does anyone know anything about the Nokia E61?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom