Pedestrian Crossing at roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Only me

Anyone else on here amazed at the stupidity of placing pedestrian crossings right on busy roundabouts as they are now doing around where I live?

I am usually concentrating on traffic entering the roundabout to my right, looking for a space to pull out into, but I have on a couple of occasions recently started to pull out on to a busy roundabout only to find myself a few feet away from the back of a stationary car on the roundabout because the pedestrian crossing on the first exit to my left had been activated.:eek:

Is it just me - or is this an accident waiting to happen???

GB

No - it's not Only you, although I've only really come across them in Cheshire.

And even without an accident they cause un-necessary traffic.

A bit daft I must admit, but I do beleive they are there to slow the traffic even more:crazy:

Most of them are ridiculous. There is one where I live, a really busy roundabout where you have to look out for people carving you up from the "Right turn only" lane. And then there is a zebra crossing right on the exit! And it's on a popular running route.

Sure it's only a matter of time before someone gets taken out.

Only me said:
Is it just me - or is this an accident waiting to happen???

GB
They are absolute lunacy. We all know what we should do at any junction, but that doesn't help the casualty that gets run over.

We have pedestrian crossings that are on main roads but also at a junction. The usual method of pedestrians getting run over is for a car waiting to pull out of the side road, they see an oncoming car slowing down... They think the car is slowing down to let them enter the main road. They pull out of the side road, and at the same time turn left to join the main road and.... instantly run over the innocent pedestrian who is crossing the road.. No doubt this is exactly what happens on your roundabouts. It also highlights the points being made about fatal road incidents. They mainly occur at low speeds :mad:

I'm amazed there are crossings anywhere near a roundabout.

Regards,
John
:) Just listening to Ozzy Osbourne singing 'Crazy' ;) ;) How apt

We were discussing this on Wednesday at the NW GTG
Five Lane Ends roundabout in Bradford has to be without doubt the stupidest piece of road planning in this country with the exception of the Manchester Road /Mayo Avenue junction (but that's a different story)

Five lane ends as the name suggests is where six roads meet at a roundabout. Dont ask... :crazy:

There are light controlled pedestrian crossings within 2 car lengths of the roundabout, but only on three roads, ie. every alternate road has a crossing and at the other three people are left to fend for themselves. The chaos at peak times has to be seen to be believed.

Not the same thing but there is a beautiful crossing on a blind junction in Rochdale, in order to see to pull out you must block the crossing with your car! :) This road is the A640 pulling onto the A671, which is a main road into the centre of Rochdale!

Picture attached courtesy of googlemaps

Attachments

• MilnrowRD.jpg
    MilnrowRD.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 88
Here is Five Lane Ends:

Attachments

• FiveLaneEnds.jpg
    FiveLaneEnds.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 85
Something wrong here, I find I agree with everyone. It is standard practice here not just on roundabouts but on corners. I think the councillors must all work for local body repair shops as the number of rear ends it causes is countless.

There's a great one on the A316 leading past Twickenham..

A pedestrian crossing (with traffic signals) right on exit side of the roundabout ..... clogs the road up for ages when people are on their way to the station in the morning and evening ...

You can't really see it until you are actually on the roundabout, and then if you have to stop , you've blocked the whole thing .... :crazy:

Although I did drive over someones towrope on the same roundabout when i was younger and tore the front spoiler off my Mk1 Golf :crazy: tee hee ..... didn't stop though , just buggered off ....

The basic problem is the behaviour of pedestrians and the authorities attitude towards it. If the crossing is sited where safety dictates, i.e. well away from roundabouts, junctions etc., will Joe public walk the extra hundred yards to cross safely? Will they hell, they will continue to take the shortest route. So the authorites site the crossing at the point where Joe public cross anyhow and close their eyes to the resulting problem.

Hey, I did not resolve to be any less cynical in 2007.:D :D

Shude said:
Here is Five Lane Ends:

That's a very old picture, they have made some serious **** ups with road markings and putting in crossings since that was taken since that was taken

DieselE said:
The basic problem is the behaviour of pedestrians and the authorities attitude towards it. If the crossing is sited where safety dictates, i.e. well away from roundabouts, junctions etc., will Joe public walk the extra hundred yards to cross safely? Will they hell, they will continue to take the shortest route. So the authorites site the crossing at the point where Joe public cross anyhow and close their eyes to the resulting problem.

Hey, I did not resolve to be any less cynical in 2007.:D :D

Yep, this is the logic behind it.

I ususally notice these have been applied where there didn't used to be a roundabout and a new one has been installed. This often increases traffic speed and makes the situation more blind to both driveer and pedestrian.

Like everyone else here I find them inconvenient but can understand the logic behind the siting so just keep an eye out for them being on red.

And if pedestrians used the crossings as stated in the Highway Code that might help as well . Do not cross until it is safe to do so, in other words wait until the vehicle stops before crossing, they never do. Instead of just jumping in front of you. Howard there are a couple on the A316 a real pain.

A Pet hate of mine. Not Howard you understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom