Penalty for 154mph on A11?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every day in this country, a wide variety of offences incur a penalty that seems unduly lenient.

Welcome to our criminal justice system.

That's going to cost him many thousands in insurance increases for years to come.

If he'd crashed what would be going through his mind would likely be pieces of glass and metal.

It's a bl*ody good effort 154 mph in a Seat :eek::eek::eek::eek: It must have been well mapped to get anywhere near that.

The article states the car was modified and the Police have formally requested a review of the sentence.

Cupra R from 2010 would do it without a chip...

Not a chance 265 bhp top and speed booked at 155 mph, you couldn't get near that I had one and best it would clear was an indicated 141 mph which in reality is 130 mph. To be clocked at 154 mph it would have to be doing an indicated 165 mph +

At that time of night it would have been dark as well, absolutely stupid speed. Deserves at least a 12 month ban

Not a chance 265 bhp top and speed booked at 155 mph, you couldn't get near that I had one and best it would clear was an indicated 141 mph which in reality is 130 mph. To be clocked at 154 mph it would have to be doing an indicated 165 mph +

Used 2011 Seat Leon 2.0 TSI Cupra 5dr for sale in Lancashire | Pistonheads

Used 2007 Seat Leon 2.0 TFSI Cupra 5dr for sale in Lancashire | Pistonheads

Used 2015 Seat Leon 2.0 TSI Cupra 280 5dr for sale in Linwood | Pistonheads

Used 2011 Seat Leon 2.0 TSI Cupra R 5dr for sale in Lancashire | Pistonheads

You two get first prize in today's "Pointless argument on the Internet" competition.

:rock:

Not an argument at all. All those linked to have a top speed of 155 mph or below which in reality means they wont achieve it. Its not like MB where they limit them to 155 mph. You would have to significantly up the boost on that engine to get a recorded 154 mph.

Maybe...

PS Apparently while the Police have asked the ban to be reviewed, the procedure does not exist fro them to do this...

(See bottom of thread from poster who is a professional dealing with traffic law - Seat Leon 154mph A11 - Page 6 - Speed, Plod & the Law - PistonHeads)

Yep theres a few things wrong with that report , like

"Howlett was caught by a laser speed detector in an unmarked police BMW that was patrolling in the area"

I thought laser speed guns according to ACPO guidelines could only be used when stationary and then not through glass. Patrolling implies the car was moving

Typical media, never let the facts get in the way of a good story :D

would they be able to review it if he has not disclosed the mods to his insurance co?

Tony.

Despite our doubts about the capability of such a car to achieve that sort of speed, whether or not a legal challenge to the sentence can be raised, probable inaccuracies in the report, or what difference it will make to his next insurance application, I'm still very concerned about his comment that nothing was going through his mind at the time. When I've driven at that speed (on tracks and the autobahn) my mind has been totally concentrated, trying to take in every bit of information available to me. Had I been stupid enough to drive that fast on the UK's public roads I would have added to my thoughts that I have to be even more aware that there may be others on or near the road who don't expect a vehicle approaching them so fast. I'd have been scanning for possible police interception. Every bloody thing would be going through my mind! The only time nothing goes through is when I'm asleep. A terrifying thought at over 150mph. IMO he admitted to driving without due care and attention (or whatever it's called today).

Despite our doubts about the capability of such a car to achieve that sort of speed, whether or not a legal challenge to the sentence can be raised, probable inaccuracies in the report, or what difference it will make to his next insurance application, I'm still very concerned about his comment that nothing was going through his mind at the time. When I've driven at that speed (on tracks and the autobahn) my mind has been totally concentrated, trying to take in every bit of information available to me. Had I been stupid enough to drive that fast on the UK's public roads I would have added to my thoughts that I have to be even more aware that there may be others on or near the road who don't expect a vehicle approaching them so fast. I'd have been scanning for possible police interception. Every bloody thing would be going through my mind! The only time nothing goes through is when I'm asleep. A terrifying thought at over 150mph. IMO he admitted to driving without due care and attention (or whatever it's called today).

I didn't read it in that context when he said there was nothing going through his mind, I took it to mean he realised it was a stupid thing to do and if he had thought about it he probably would not have done it. hence gave it no thought so there was nothing going through his mind :dk:

Poor *** hit something like a 20 month ban for a similar speed.

S

Quite a bit less 134 IIRC. But he was done for dangerous driving which apparently is not uncommon at above certain speeds in Scotland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom