Pensions Advisor Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you think of using an IFA have a read of the December issue of Which.

The report is grim reading A very high percentage of the IFA's investigated in the report were found to be lying about their industry qualifications.
Any is too many, and I condemn lying.

On that note, as an ex-IFA (legitimately fully retired), while my qualifications were on my letterhead and website, I chose not to have them on my business cards. This was because in my experience my clients, who were mainly 'professional' people themselves, weren't too bothered, it was the relationship and results that mattered. After all, who checks in detail the qualifications of their accountant, lawyer or doctor?

If you are worried, check the name - both company and individual - on the FCA register. To have the correct FCA permissions, proof of qualifications and ongoing professional development has to be submitted to FCA. Although I am retired, my name still appears on the register, but as 'Inactive'.

Apologies for the heavy answer.
Malcolm

Well I think the OP has more than enough experience to invest himself,he has managed his sipps,and with the DB's well apart from being able to take 25% as cash,there is not much wrong with letting them pay you what they promised,depending on the amount of cash and investment you have I would leave the DB's alone and collect the money every month,and then wait for that lovely government pension,what a bargain that is,I retired at 59 and I enjoy every inactive day I have,watched the rain coming down all day today,booked a holiday online,and took delivery of a new starter battery for the car,well the next door neighbours brought it round seems I feel asleep and missed the courier,life is so tough sometimes.

One thing I've learnt over 25 years investing in shares is that no one knows for sure what's going to happen on the stock market and that particularly includes the professionals. I'd be very wary of anyone telling me what to buy. Instead I'd expect advice to focus on strategy and what risks are appropriate to individual circumstances.

At 63 I have deliberately not retired fully and still work 2 days per week term time only. I don't remotely need to do it financially but I like the variety and enjoy the job. My instinct is that retirement is something that you have to work at to keep active. My motto would be:

You don't slow down when you get old
You get old when you slow down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom