People are unbelievable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Millfed

Car
Mercedes E320cdi E350cdi & SLK350 (W211, w212 & R171)
Selling my lovely but sad E320cdi. It has around 275000 miles but still drives great and swift. Very good condition 9months mot but sadly the dreaded sbc struck. Decided it was not worth spending the money to repair. So put it up for break or repair. The sbc was the only issue.
A chap rang up and we agreed a price. I made it clear that I did not want to haggle once he turned up. He agreed. A few hours later 2 guys and a young lad turned up to buy it.
They asked to hear it running and to open the bonnet, I did as asked.
One of the guys asked if it had a spare tyre. I showed him as required. We stood at the front chatting. One of the guys checked the oil - ok, then checked the water in the header tank. To my horror and surprise it was full of oil. I couldn’t believe it. I started explaining that was not possible...... I told them it is impossible for oil in that form to be in the water without becoming a white/ brown mess. Fortunately my wife being a strong negotiator would not drop the price even with this new news. They bought the car and left. Later checking our cctv we spotted them putting the oil in the water while I was showing them the spare tyre. What a disgusting thing to do just to maybe get a few quid of the price. Beware selling is a dirty business.....

what ba****ds!!
But at least you sold it for the asking price :)

I don't get it.

They paid up for a car which they had sabotaged?

I don't get it.

They paid up for a car which they had sabotaged?

They added oil to the coolant while the OP was otherwise occupied. They then tried to use this to negotiate a lower price, but the OP didn’t budge.

Selling my lovely but sad E320cdi. It has around 275000 miles but still drives great and swift. Very good condition 9months mot but sadly the dreaded sbc struck. Decided it was not worth spending the money to repair. So put it up for break or repair. The sbc was the only issue.
A chap rang up and we agreed a price. I made it clear that I did not want to haggle once he turned up. He agreed. A few hours later 2 guys and a young lad turned up to buy it.
They asked to hear it running and to open the bonnet, I did as asked.
One of the guys asked if it had a spare tyre. I showed him as required. We stood at the front chatting. One of the guys checked the oil - ok, then checked the water in the header tank. To my horror and surprise it was full of oil. I couldn’t believe it. I started explaining that was not possible...... I told them it is impossible for oil in that form to be in the water without becoming a white/ brown mess. Fortunately my wife being a strong negotiator would not drop the price even with this new news. They bought the car and left. Later checking our cctv we spotted them putting the oil in the water while I was showing them the spare tyre. What a disgusting thing to do just to maybe get a few quid of the price. Beware selling is a dirty business.....

Why didn’t you list it on here. I would have bought it :( lol

I love a high mileage Cdi ;)

:D glad it backfired and the silly ***** bought it anyway, so now its basically cost him extra to flush the coolant and replace it lol....

Reactions: 219
Someone else had this exact same prank played on them recently, only the buyers declined to buy the vehicle after doing the dirty deed.
So be careful when people come to view, there are some horrible people out there.

Yes, I’ve heard of this before on other forums. The moral is never take your eyes off them and try to have someone else with you when selling as an extra pair of eyes.

Was the young lad carrying a non-transparent soft drink bottle, e.g Locazade? That's how they usually hide the oil.

And, if they didn't drive the car away, the oil in the coolant can be easily sorted by emptying the expansion tank.

Good job for not budging on the price.

Dizzylizzie had the same trick pulled a month or two back trying to sell their diesel converted SL, told about it either on here or t'other side.

That is shocking, but it could have been worse, when the two of them take the one of you on the test drive and threaten you to get out and drive off in your car. Alls well that ends well, they have to remove the oil now at least.

Dizzylizzie had the same trick pulled a month or two back trying to sell their diesel converted SL, told about it either on here or t'other side.
Apparently it's quite common:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And variations on theme:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jeez there are some utter w@nkers out there. If ever I've come to sell any of my vehicles and ive loved most of them, if I didn't like the look of the people coming to view I'd put them off myself. Thank god I've not had to experience this. Glad it turned out OK for you though.

Worth putting a tamper proof seal on the various caps before viewing , then you’d have proof it had been opened .

. One of the guys checked the oil - ok, then checked the water in the header tank. To my horror and surprise it was full of oil. I couldn’t believe it. I started explaining that was not possible......

Old con.

That is shocking, but it could have been worse, when the two of them take the one of you on the test drive and threaten you to get out and drive off in your car. Alls well that ends well, they have to remove the oil now at least.

Need to see original drivers license which, stays at your house while you go with ONE person for a test drive.

Utter scumbags. Sadly a common occurrence which means you have to always be super careful when selling privately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom