People around me keep dying.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Got a text yesterday from my ex sister in law to inform me that a friend has passed away from cancer at the age of 51.

That brings the total of friends/beer buddies etc to 6 this year so far. All under the age of 52 and all from some form of cancer.

Is it cos we are all getting on a bit or is it payment for all the hard living in the late 80's and 90's.

Sorry to be so morbid but I am just feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Just the next stage of life.

First off you go to endless weddings & then events associated with births.

Then it all stops for a while until the remarriages, then weddings of children & children of friends, followed by birth events of same.

Then it is funerals. Ancient relatives first and then your friends start going.

Just the way it is. Do not worry about it, just get on with your life.

Sorry to hear of your friends' demise. As said before it's part of getting older I guess.
By the way I am sure you are a great chap but I do not wish to become a friend !!;)

Sorry to hear of your friends' demise. As said before it's part of getting older I guess.
By the way I am sure you are a great chap but I do not wish to become a friend !!;)

We're all friends on here...:eek:

Life is like that. My first friend died of leukaemia in 1955 when I was just 12 years old and I accepted that then more so than when friends / work colleagues turn their toes up now.

Enjoy life as it happens and if you find that "you're the last one in the room", just turn the light off as you leave the room of life.

"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't no how permanent." ;)

Fast approaching my "Best before date" as already said been attending friends funerals more recently. A lot of them younger than me. To those who may be less advanced on the path of life, make sure you value the things that are important, and it isn't work or our cars, and most importantly know where you are going.

Got a text yesterday from my ex sister in law to inform me that a friend has passed away from cancer at the age of 51.

That brings the total of friends/beer buddies etc to 6 this year so far. All under the age of 52 and all from some form of cancer.

Is it cos we are all getting on a bit or is it payment for all the hard living in the late 80's and 90's.

Sorry to be so morbid but I am just feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Darrell

Had you been recounting exciting tales about fast cars and loose women to these people shortly before they departed?

Only asking!!!

On a more serious note. A good friend of mine dropped dead with (and I am not making this up) Sudden Death Syndrome" Sound perfectly reasonable to me by way of an explanation for his "sudden death".

Post Mortem was inconclusive but pointed towards an un-diagnosed heart condition. He was 27 and his wife gave birth three days after he died.

This was the latest in group of friends who have sadly passed on.

He was a true petrol head and loved both Bikes and Cars in equal measure.

The vicar at his cremation was a Biker who turned up on a spectacular Harley with an equally spectacular beard (I am sure there were Japanese WWII soldiers hiding in it)

It never get's any easier at these times. But on their passing they have left us with great and very very fond memories. Well, when I say "All" what I really meant was....

Met up with a friend at the weekend to celebrate her birthday. She's had breast cancer, her husband and I both have type 2 diabetes, my wife had a brain haemorrhage a few years back. My best mate had a heart attack last year. We're all late 40's/early 50s - getting older sucks, fact. Fortunately none of us have fallen out of the tree yet..

Cheers,

Gaz

gaz_l said:
Met up with a friend at the weekend to celebrate her birthday. She's had breast cancer, her husband and I both have type 2 diabetes, my wife had a brain haemorrhage a few years back. My best mate had a heart attack last year. We're all late 40's/early 50s - getting older sucks, fact. Fortunately none of us have fallen out of the tree yet.. Cheers, Gaz

Gaz. Insist on "sale or return" for your next birthday gift.

we're lucky - just another stroke and a heart attack this year!!

growing old is not for wimps!

Last edited:
Gaz. Insist on "sale or return" for your next birthday gift.

That's July next year. Not planning that far ahead at the moment ;).

Cheers,

Gaz

How many times, on average?

Yeah, very good. I'd thought of that this morning but thought it somewhat insensitive to crack that joke. ;) A bit along the lines of 'a woman is raped twelve times each day'.

However, when my old man died last year at 101, he was the last of his generation.

The relatively small remaining family (of which, at nearly 64, I am the youngest - my oldest cousin being around 78, my sister 73, all went swivel-eyed as, tempus fugit and all that - one of us ... is ... next ....

Live for the moment!

A pal of mine summed it up by saying we'd reached a stage in life where we had to buy our own black ties, as the guy you borrowed it off for your parents funerals will now be needing it at the same time as you do......

I've suddenly started noticing the 'industry leaders' in my business sector are dropping like flies.....and they all seemed like young men & women I worked with 10 minutes ago.....! Death & Taxes I'm afraid....Death & Taxes.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

All the mates ( Mods on Lambrettas !) i knocked around with as a teenager are gone, every one, so obviously im Superman !

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next."
They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Carpe Diem, indeed! You never know which day will be your last so treat every day as if it is and enjoy every minute - and I mean that in a positive way! Life is too short so live it to the full, every minute, every second! That's why I bought my SL500 eighteen months ago rather than wait until after my retirement - not regretted it one bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom