Perfect eggs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I don't cook. But I like poached eggs, and I've suddenly got nifty at them.

Weekend poached eggs are fast becoming a Dazzler weekend treat as I try to give Nigella, I mean Mrs D, a break from kitchen duties.

I cook them in batches of two. Boiling water with a pinch of salt and three splashes of vinegar, turned down to a simmer and whisked in to a vortex. I pour the egg from a tea cup into the eye of the storm, and as the simmer builds back up I turn the heat down a little

The first two are perfect as if Michel Roux had rustled them up. The second two are a dream, but are not perfectly formed. But subsequent batches look like someone with my general cooking prowess has prepared them!!

What am I doing wrong?

I tried changing the water which helps a little, but without resorting to fresh pans for each batch I'm at a loss as to how I can make sure the final batch of eggs (mine) are as perfect as the first (Nigella's)?. :dk:

You need to add fresh salt back into the water as it is being absorbed by the eggs as the albumen sets.

This lack of salt is changing the salinity of the water and also the boiling point.

use a deep sided frying pan - will you then have enough space to cook all at the same time?

Plus the vinegar is also being absorbed.

Suggest bigger pan and do them all at the same time.

I love this forum! Bigger pan and more eggs means no whisking though - just pour into own space?

What am I doing wrong?

Simple.

What you are doing wrong is making poached eggs for Mrs D and Baby D as well as for yourself. :eek:

Try and get them enthusiastic about breakfast cereal bars instead :D

Put the egg into boiling water for 20-30 secs then take it out, boil the water back up then crack the egg into it. That 20-30 secs slightly cooks the white of the egg stopping it running all over the place

Put cling film lining inside a mug. Crack an egg into it, and sprinkle salt, pepper and fresh chopped fresh coriander and a splash of oil and vinegar. Tie the cling film and drop in boiled water. Perfect shape and all seasoning mixed throughout - a great cheat from a chef friend of mine!

Put cling film lining inside a mug. Crack an egg into it, and sprinkle salt, pepper and fresh chopped fresh coriander and a splash of oil and vinegar. Tie the cling film and drop in boiled water. Perfect shape and all seasoning mixed throughout - a great cheat from a chef friend of mine!

What he said....works every time..:thumb:

Buy a poaching pan.

yEY0L-CJHXiO2CyP64IoMmVLEoxZLQ79Fg9CFBxc7kwCaWZ14bzABQQYudC4HtD4j6aXg5fBS-PQ6rvyx931ShT-cLE2W6cRzVFNknuib3syDDlxsvLoPqukyFymO8U8hetvkbVmtw4OnXyUOHg-JsyswYpw1pakoyzqOMA

Poached eggs are messy so Misery bought these little trays made to microwave them.
Usual man thing, ripping the packaging off with teeth and lobbed them in.
Damn things exploded....Should of pricked them apparently...

Been There Done That ; We Think That We Know Everything !:thumb:

Poached eggs are messy so Misery bought these little trays made to microwave them.
Usual man thing, ripping the packaging off with teeth and lobbed them in.
Damn things exploded....Should of pricked them apparently...

Yes I've tried those too. Even if you ***** them they still explode! Results are very inconsistent but super quick! I used to cover the poacher with. A microwave splash guard which limits the mess somewhat.

The other thing about the method I use above (it really is top - try it tonight everyone!) is that I use a grossly oversized Starbucks mug and put three eggs into my cling film (takes a bit longer to cook through). I then have a huge triple-yolk frisbee poached egg that fits a round bap perfectly with some nice bacon - then just some hollandaise sauce and it is a great Eggs Benedict bap for a special treat.

Some excellent suggestions for the next few weekends - thank you to all.

The other thing about the method I use above (it really is top - try it tonight everyone!) is that I use a grossly oversized Starbucks mug and put three eggs into my cling film (takes a bit longer to cook through). I then have a huge triple-yolk frisbee poached egg that fits a round bap perfectly with some nice bacon - then just some hollandaise sauce and it is a great Eggs Benedict bap for a special treat.

Now that sounds good. I could imagine it stacked with one of those big flat mushrooms and a latte.

Shame I have to go to work in a moment, and not a quick dash to Waitrose and back - for bacon and mushrooms!

Don't poach eggs that often, but I use 'poach pods', a kind of silicone cup that floats in the boiling water. You lightly oil or smear the inside of the cup with butter, break the egg into it, and lower into the boiling water with a special handle that supports the cup. Boil away for 3 minutes, lift out the pod and turn out the poached egg. Perfect! No problems with scraping egg white off the saucepan either.

Because of these my cholesterol levels are likely to increase - must find something else to give up...

Orwic

Buy a poaching pan.

yEY0L-CJHXiO2CyP64IoMmVLEoxZLQ79Fg9CFBxc7kwCaWZ14bzABQQYudC4HtD4j6aXg5fBS-PQ6rvyx931ShT-cLE2W6cRzVFNknuib3syDDlxsvLoPqukyFymO8U8hetvkbVmtw4OnXyUOHg-JsyswYpw1pakoyzqOMA

Loved mine, but now got an induction hob and the pan is aluminium:mad:
Any ideas for a steel/iron one:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom