Performance air filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyM88

Car
Mercedes C350 Sport
I have a 2010 C350 cdi. At some point in the next few months I will be taking a trip to MSL. Before I do I was looking at replacing my standard air filter with some performance BMC ones from Eurocar parts. Has anyone used these? Is it worth doing for a diesel? They are coming in at around 80 pounds

TIA

Thanks, I had done some digging around an found things very sinilar. I did put one on an old astra i had with obviously no noticeable performance increase. But i thought given the potential in my engine it might have better effect

remap

I've looked into this a lot over the years and there are two main points.

1)Older design cars often didnt have a good cold air feed to the airbox. In these cases putting a feed in, or installing a good closed IK with a feed did help. My old VX V6s in Vectra Bs benefitted a lot from a closed IK and cold feed. Modern cars don't have this issue as much. For instance Mercs have cold air feeds direct from the grille. Funnily enough, my wife's Yaris 2009 didn't have, the intake was directly in the engine bay, so I bought some good quality pipe and put a grille feed in. It made the acceleration a little smoother, but not necessarily faster. TBH on hers using super unleaded gives the most benefit.

2)There is NO flow difference between a NEW paper filter and a new K&N or Pipercross or whatever. There IS a difference when they are both dirty, the K&Ns flow more. This is made worse by the ludicrous oem air filter change intervals that manufacturers have to make their costs cheaper - 4 years or 40k miles. You are better off simply changing the OEM paper yearly or every 10k. For the sake of 15 or 20 quid.

You can get more induction noise with IKs or "performance" filters, but do you really want that on a diesel?

Thanks. Its funny as i had an Astra G an used the intake pipe from a vectra diesel because it was wider. Went to a enclosed cone was good to be fair. Probably didnt do mich though

I was more thinking that if i am going to be getting a remap from msl is it worth having one in to make the most of this.

I was more thinking that if i am going to be getting a remap from msl is it worth having one in to make the most of this.

Any improvement is an improvement eh? Even if it is a few tenths of 1%.

'If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad'.

Go for it. :0)

Last edited:
Just to update the air filters came and where the wrong ones BMC sent out and indeed do not make them nor does anyone else for the 350cdi

:( oem it is

I've fitted a few in the past to various cars and other than noise never noticed any improvement. Someone on an Audi site did a survey on a TT and the standard one was better than the rest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom