Performance exhaust vs sport+ exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamied1987

Car
Isuzu dmax blade
Good Evening All,

I'm just wondering what the difference is between having the performance exhaust turned on and having the car in sport+ mode?

The performance exhaust is notably louder than when it is switched off but it's a different sound altogether when sport+ is selected,

Are they not the same thing?

Is there a way to have the sport+ sound but with comfort or sport mode selected?

Thanks ☺️

The exhaust button opens a valve.

Sport+ has the valve open and adds more petrol on purpose at times to create artificial 'pops and bangs'.

An aftermarket remap is the only way to tune the latter in different modes.

If it's one of the latest cars with an OPF then I think they have started playing sound through the speakers to compensate and S+ will increase that.

Last edited:
Are there no valves on the standard exhaust? Is the standard exhaust louder in sport+?

Performance exhaust is louder in Sport+ mode. I believe there is a cross-pipe valve on the standard exhaust (also on the performance) that produces different effects, but the performance exhaust has extra flaps at the tail end of the exhaust to bypass the final muffler, resulting in a deeper, louder sound regardless of engine mode. Sport+ mode dials it up again with extra effects in terms of pops as Steve said above.
On a performance exhaust, you can see dual exits on each side of the car (peering through the fake tips!) - standard exhaust has one.
The performance exhaust is quieter than the standard exhaust when it's in "quiet" mode.

Good Evening All,

I'm just wondering what the difference is between having the performance exhaust turned on and having the car in sport+ mode?

The performance exhaust is notably louder than when it is switched off but it's a different sound altogether when sport+ is selected,

Are they not the same thing?

Is there a way to have the sport+ sound but with comfort or sport mode selected?

Thanks ☺
S+ just plays a different soundtrack through the big silver thing in the boot......

If you are talking about the later generation of models (205, 213..........) then you can customise your 'Individual' mode to have Sports+ exhaust sound with Comfort or Sports engine/suspension settings.

Also on Sport + it runs a higher rev even in idle I think.

My understanding of the modes is:

C = Changes gear as soon as possible, coasting where possible. Comfort everything.

S = Holds gears longer. Faster gear change speed. More responsive in kickdown to throttle applications. Suspension stiffer

S+ = Fastest gear change speeds. Bit of an all-out mode. Find this mode a bit of a pain for normal road driving, laxed TC

I have mine in individual most times. Suspension in comfort, gear box sport, exhaust on

My understanding of the modes is:

C = Changes gear as soon as possible, coasting where possible. Comfort everything.

S = Holds gears longer. Faster gear change speed. More responsive in kickdown to throttle applications. Suspension stiffer

S+ = Fastest gear change speeds. Bit of an all-out mode. Find this mode a bit of a pain for normal road driving, laxed TC

I have mine in individual most times. Suspension in comfort, gear box sport, exhaust on

You forgot 'Race' mode :) (not that i've used it on mine). Have to say, I find S+ completely tolerable on half decent roads, although with worn tyres on the back its more than a little sketchy if you're not paying attention....

You forgot 'Race' mode :) (not that i've used it on mine). Have to say, I find S+ completely tolerable on half decent roads, although with worn tyres on the back its more than a little sketchy if you're not paying attention....
Haha I use mine as a daily, Race mode never engaged .... honest 😁

It's more the kangaroo on take off at times in S+ that annoys me, but yeah guess it is tolerable.

It's more the kangaroo on take off at times in S+ that annoys me, but yeah guess it is tolerable.
My M3 had the kangaroo effect in sport plus, needed different software to sort it

I actually find S/S+ more predictable than Comfort in many situations, knowing that it won't suddenly kick-down when I least expect it, which has happened on a number of occasions already :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom