Performance Headers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauljay

Car
2000 CLK 430/55
Hi Guys,

I'm new on this forum but a regular on the American site (www.mbworld.org/forums).

I just wanted to tell you about a new tuning company that specializes in exhausts but does everything from servicing to custom builds. They are called EMP Performance and they are based in Bushey (M25/J19 just outside London).

The story goes that I bought a set of Kleemann long tube headers for my W208 430 CLK '00. Kleemanns site says that the headers are for LHD cars but with slight modifications will fit RHD cars, wrong!!
I took my car to EMP Performance to have them fitted and was told that without a total manifold redesign these headers would not fit!

Long story short being an exhaust company they offered to make me a one off set of headers better than Kleemanns!

I accepted, and I will document the process for you guys to see if they're any good.

I don't have any affiliation with them but I know that there aren't many places where we can take our cars for cheaper servicing and modifications if we so choose.

My new headers will be made from aircraft grade steel and will have mandrel bends with tig welding. I am trying to get a picture sent to me via email of their work but I don't know how to cut the picture out as it wasn't sent as an attachment. As soon as I do you will see their exhausts are a work of art.

I know I'm setting myself up for a fall here, but I've had such disapointment from CKS, skgPerformance and Kleemann (all promised to deliver) but I've high hopes with this new comer.

Ps, they said a 3-4 day build and they'll take pictures. I'll post up once I have the evidence!:thumb:

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.How much we`re talking here,I have a straight 6

Hi,
I would be very interseted, do post the pics when you can.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi d w124 and thanks for the welcome.

They quoted me £1600!

I know that's a bit steep but Kleemann want £1400.

I was doubtful until I saw the work they do! (I'm still trying to post these pictures). :wallbash:

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, will do.

The Kleeman ones that the OP has that won't fit his car , i imagine would fit yours ?

Maybe he wants to sell them ?

I heard good things about EMP on here before. I asked them for a quote to delete resonator, fit AMG CLK55 back box and trim the valence. Got a rapid response and a fantastic price. Just had not had the time to visit them yet and get it done..

Hey Guys,

I couldn't cut out the pictures so I took a picture of the picture.:D

I spoke with and emailed the CEO of Kleemann (who was a decent guy).

He tried to tell EMP Performance where to cut and weld the headers but had to concede that although he sold LHD headers and they fitted in RHD cars, the cars had bigger engine bays than a CLK (M, S, E, ML ect..).

He offered me a full refund and a heavily discounted ECU tune. Kleemann normally charge £700 for their work but you have to send them your ECU.

I sent the headers back this morning unfortunately and I'm awaiting my refund.

Here's the pictures in my email sorry one's a bit blurry, I can't make the second image smaller and in focus!

Attachments

• Sony Xperia 101.jpg
    Sony Xperia 101.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 422
  • Sony Xperia 102.jpg
    Sony Xperia 102.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 420
Hi d w124 and thanks for the welcome.

They quoted me £1600!

I know that's a bit steep but Kleemann want £1400.

I was doubtful until I saw the work they do! (I'm still trying to post these pictures). :wallbash:

That`s a lot of money mate,I got a quote from Hayward and Scot to do mine for £800 fitted

Yeah, that IS alot of money and I'm not rich!

I told them to go ahead after I recieved the email. They gurantee their work and the mandrel bends and tig welding is fabulous not to mention an expensive thing to do.

I did ponder all day about it and came to the resolution of 'you gets what you pay for'.

I forgot to mention that I had 'shorty' headers before from a company in the States called AMS. Their headers cracked at the welds twice!! They cost me £900.

If I could get it done cheaper I WOULD. I've been down the cheaper route and failed with everyone.

Performance tuning your car is damn expensive. Another quick note is I love my car. I've had it 6yrs and only started customising it 3yrs ago when I felt it needed modernising. I know I'll never get that money back but when I bought her I had the choice of a W209 also. I wanted an AMG Cabriolet but at the time they didn't make one so I got my 430 cab.

I've since turned her into an AMG with a NA 55 conversion (done a couple of years ago), she's very trick and fast!

Another 55 transplant, brilliant, another member just recently had a 55 transplanted into a W202.

Paul:Your car sounds very nice,post some pictures when you can

Hey Guys,

I couldn't cut out the pictures so I took a picture of the picture.:D

I spoke with and emailed the CEO of Kleemann (who was a decent guy).

He tried to tell EMP Performance where to cut and weld the headers but had to concede that although he sold LHD headers and they fitted in RHD cars, the cars had bigger engine bays than a CLK (M, S, E, ML ect..).

He offered me a full refund and a heavily discounted ECU tune. Kleemann normally charge £700 for their work but you have to send them your ECU.

I sent the headers back this morning unfortunately and I'm awaiting my refund.

Here's the pictures in my email sorry one's a bit blurry, I can't make the second image smaller and in focus!

Nice piece of "plumbing" :D

Hey DRBC43AMG

I noticed your dream combination at the bottom of the page... I'm going one better!

AMG engine conversion... Check
E55 AMG 8 pot Brembo discs and calipers? ;)

Hey DRBC43AMG

I noticed your dream combination at the bottom of the page... I'm going one better!

AMG engine conversion... Check
E55 AMG 8 pot Brembo discs and calipers? ;)

Congrats on your conversion :thumb:
How are you going to get 8 pot calipers on a W202 chassis :eek: without major surgery? What size wheels will fit over that

Re Headers!!

Yeah, that IS alot of money and I'm not rich!

I told them to go ahead after I recieved the email. They gurantee their work and the mandrel bends and tig welding is fabulous not to mention an expensive thing to do.

I did ponder all day about it and came to the resolution of 'you gets what you pay for'.

I forgot to mention that I had 'shorty' headers before from a company in the States called AMS. Their headers cracked at the welds twice!! They cost me £900.

If I could get it done cheaper I WOULD. I've been down the cheaper route and failed with everyone.

Performance tuning your car is damn expensive. Another quick note is I love my car. I've had it 6yrs and only started customising it 3yrs ago when I felt it needed modernising. I know I'll never get that money back but when I bought her I had the choice of a W209 also. I wanted an AMG Cabriolet but at the time they didn't make one so I got my 430 cab.

I've since turned her into an AMG with a NA 55 conversion (done a couple of years ago), she's very trick and fast!

Hi PaulJay....I trust youve seen my album?? EMP designed my AMG exhaust to perfection too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom