perky diesel engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
noticed over the last few days may car seams perkier,definite improvement on initial pick up and acceleration , usually fill up with Shell diesel extra,but due to circumstances had to use Esso diesel , could this be the reason for my perky engine or will the warmer weather help just wounded if other oil burners have noticed any difference in performance with different fuels or the warmer weather

Theoretically engines should run better in cooler air as it is more dense and contains more oxygen, hence the use of intercoolers.

So it must be the fuel change.

Interestingly enough, I always bought supermarket diesel for mine, but was forced, by circumstance, to fill up twice with BP diesel. I noticed quite a difference, mainly in how quiet the engine became, not too much in respect to the "perkiness" of the engine, but then my driving style would not show that up anyway :D :D

Normally run on BP Ultimate Diesel but two weeks ago my wife filled up the Land Cruiser at Morrisons. Not hard to see why their sales are dropping: they have taken a batch of what were reasonable Safeway stores and filled them up with their own brand rubbish product base that nobody around here will buy. This appears to extend to their fuel offering as well.

It was dreadful. Soon sounded (more) like a tractor and within a couple of days for the first time ever started producing white smoke. Ran like a pig and clattered away.

Ran that tank down refilled with BP Ultimate and stuffed a dose of injector cleaner in. Within 50 miles normal service restored.

Diesel fuel can be quite variable even if it does meet the base Cetane rating and there is some cheap rubbish on the market. Sir Ken has certainly proved that to me.

Same case with, interestingly regular shell diesel gave me crappy results, compared with BP regular and even Sainsbury's.

Satch said:
Morrisons. Not hard to see why their sales are dropping: they have taken a batch of what were reasonable Safeway stores and filled them up with their own brand rubbish product base
For the first time ever Morrisons slipped into the red last financial year in the wake of the Safeway acquisition. Sir Ken has caught a cold trying to sell to picky southern consumers in his down-home northern idiom (we really are still two nations) and I predict an abortive re-jig followed by a retreat.

Tesco & Sainsbury diesel always make my car feel gutless and put the fuel cons. up by about 5%. Never tried BP Ultimate - is it really that good?

fwb44 said:
Tesco & Sainsbury diesel always make my car feel gutless and put the fuel cons. up by about 5%. Never tried BP Ultimate - is it really that good?

Works well for me but the experience seems to vary. Stick some Millers Diesel Power Plus in as well and my diesels go very well indeed.

I'll second the Millers Diesel Plus. Definitely reduces the amount of smoke on a 'foot to the floor session'. I never use supermarket diesel, so can't comment on that.

Where do people buy Millers Diesel Power Plus? I know Dieselman used to say you can get it at CostCo, but they only ever seem to have Redex when I go there. They've not heard of it in my local autoshop, nor in the local halfords...

http://www.difflock.com/cgi-bin/wm10/wm10_02606/main/mallfront.cgi

Under Oils & Fluids in the Difflock store

PS if anyone wants a good floor jack the Omega Mechanixs 3 ton is great for £80. High lift & manages my Land Cruiser very easily. Best of all very stable. Damn heavy though

Last edited:
SimonsMerc said:
Where do people buy Millers Diesel Power Plus? I know Dieselman used to say you can get it at CostCo, but they only ever seem to have Redex when I go there. They've not heard of it in my local autoshop, nor in the local halfords...

you can't buy millers at Costco.
Try either of these:

AUTOLINK
757-759 HARROW ROAD
SUDBURY

MONARCH ELECTRO DIESEL LTD
148 GREENFORD ROAD
SUDBURY HILL
HARROW MIDDLESEX

or
http://www.millersoils.net/

hI GUYS, hopefully all are keeping well, haven't been here for a while, but thought of sharing something with you guys - A friend has a company car and does more than 45000miles / year, about 3 months ago we were discussing this very subject about which diesel to use, he has tried all bp ultimate, shell diesel extra and esso energy, he was very strongly saying that esso definately is the best, not only did the car run better, but he noticed a better consumption. he will go out of his way now to fill up with esso energy. I am going to try the esso supreme unleaded and compare it with shell optimax, lets see.

SimonsMerc, I get my Millers at my local A1 autostore. There is a number of them around and about, buit don't know where your nearest is

millers

i always use :rock: millers :bannana: with esso energy @96.6 per lit not cheep but well worth it :bannana: no smoke smother and still realy perky also temp of engine never gets above 86in town and always drops to 80/82 on motorway must be the coolent change done in may...well worth doing as well....... :D getting readings of 30c on outside temp gauge as well

TOPMERCS said:
we were discussing this very subject about which diesel to use, he has tried all bp ultimate, shell diesel extra and esso energy, he was very strongly saying that esso definately is the best, not only did the car run better, but he noticed a better consumption. he will go out of his way now to fill up with esso energy. I am going to try the esso supreme unleaded and compare it with shell optimax, lets see.

Esso Energy eh ? Must try that. Test results to follow....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom