Personal number plate cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
We presently have A20 Y?R as a number plate this being a 20th wedding anniversary present for my wife ( these being her initials Yvonne ? Richardson)

As we're now looking for a second cheap car out of interest I looked for a plate with my initials DJR surprised or what A12 DJR £1180 from DVLA, yet A19 Y?R is only £250.

Guess we could well have a consecutive plates A19 & A20 coming

Yes the DVLA can be very cheap,I bought a plate that spells my whole name,for £265 and that included the retention fee,I had never been a fan of these plates but my son said why not you never buy new cars,so I looked and like you was surprised at how cheap my plate was.

Cheers Zipdip,

The plates do add something to the car, our back number plate has a shadow on the digits & MB logo, my MOT centre failed the car first time around on the back plate. Now I just change it back to one with the correct spacing & digits for the day of MOT

Cheers Zipdip,

The plates do add something to the car, our back number plate has a shadow on the digits & MB logo, my MOT centre failed the car first time around on the back plate. Now I just change it back to one with the correct spacing & digits for the day of MOT

Naughty naughty.......:thumb:

Well yes I put a legal plates on my car for the MOT,I could use a test centre that does not worry about the plate but they give advisories for having the bottom of our cars shrouded,so I change the plates,the only thing wrong with them is the gap between the first letter and the rest of the number,which gives my intial and then my surname,with regard being pulled by the police,you have to be careful when parked,my granson wondered why he got a extra ice cream at Mc Donalds one of the police no satisfied that he had his lunch wanted a nick as well,he soon lost interest.

As we're now looking for a second cheap car out of interest I looked for a plate with my initials DJR surprised or what A12 DJR £1180 from DVLA, yet A19 Y?R is only £250.

Guess we could well have a consecutive plates A19 & A20 coming

I assume A12 DJR is currently owned by someone and that they would only sell it for that amount? Certainly the case when you look on plate selling websites. The others are probably held by the DVLA and if reasonably generic will be cheaper.

I assume A12 DJR is currently owned by someone and that they would only sell it for that amount? Ce
rtainly the case when you look on plate selling websites. The others are probably held by the DVLA and if reasonably generic will be cheaper.

Yes, I see what you mean & the initials DJR could be a set of letters that would lend it to many popular names

I assume A12 DJR is currently owned by someone and that they would only sell it for that amount? Certainly the case when you look on plate selling websites. The others are probably held by the DVLA and if reasonably generic will be cheaper.

The DVLA only sell plates that they own, and they don't buy back.

However, on their site there are very few prefix style DJR plates available, so I don't think the OP was looking at the official DVLA list. That would likely explain the price discrepancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom