Personal Plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hi,

I am after a rather specific personal numberplate, I have seen similar for sale via DVLA auctions but the specific one I would like to buy is still registered on a 1989 Triump Herald with no MOT since 2012. Will this ever be resold by the DVLA, perhaps if the car is scrapped? (Maybe it already has been?)

Thanks

Hi,

I am after a rather specific personal numberplate, I have seen similar for sale via DVLA auctions but the specific one I would like to buy is still registered on a 1989 Triump Herald with no MOT since 2012. Will this ever be resold by the DVLA, perhaps if the car is scrapped? (Maybe it already has been?)

Thanks

The numbers are not resold when the car is scrapped.

You’ll have to MOT it won’t you?
No idea - finding it would be the hardest part though. I wouldn't mind putting the work into MOT it and then resell it after.

Hi,

Thanks
Are you sure it's on a Herald, they were long out of production by 1989, a Triumph Acclaim maybe?

Well once it is scrapped the number is lost forever,I had something similar,the number I wanted was on Citroen C8 people carrier,it had well over 120,000 miles on it,and when for that short period of time when you could find out where the vehicle was being MOT'd it was in Western Super Mare,but even with all that it was impossible to track down and it is now no longer MOT'd and will almost certainly been scrapped and so the number is lost.

Hi,

Thanks

That's a shame, are there any other combinations that you can come up with that are close?

I give up. I will find another similar plate :) Thanks for all the replies.

When a vehicle is scrapped the DVLA has to be told and they will "reclaim" the number. DVLA can then sell it.

Reactions: 219
When a vehicle is scrapped the DVLA has to be told and they will "reclaim" the number. DVLA can then sell it.
[/QUSorry you are wrong the plate never comes back once the vehicle is scrapped it is gone,just look that up online and see for yourself.

Enquire at dvla number plate department about the number you're interested in.
I did and miraculously 2 auctions later the 2 numbers I'd enquired about were in it!

I would have thought once a car was scrapped the plate could be re-issued.

It would be no different to just transferring on to another car and otherwise the DVLA are throwing money away.

Probably a jobsworth reason behind it if they can't re-issue.

If the number was definitely on a Triumph Herald it would more likely be 1969 , last Herald made was 1971, last Triumph made was in 1984 . May well be sat in a garage somewhere awaiting restoration, and would now be tax and mot exempt . As a matter of interest I just checked dvla for RCK4X. It came up as "vehicle not found" which is technically correct as I put the number on retention in March . It made no mention that the registration still exists. It may be worth trying one of the owners clubs or Triumph Herald public group on Facebook which has around 1800 members.

I seem to remember a number of years back the DVLA realised how much money could be made from selling 'cherished' number plates and thought ' hold on..we own all of those old scrapped numbers' and resurrected many of them.

I could have dreamed this or made it up.....not sure :dk:

I seem to remember a number of years back the DVLA realised how much money could be made from selling 'cherished' number plates and thought ' hold on..we own all of those old scrapped numbers' and resurrected many of them.

I could have dreamed this or made it up.....not sure :dk:
This

previously scrapped/lost numbers do resurface at the DVLA auctions, especially if enough people enquire about them

This

previously scrapped/lost numbers do resurface at the DVLA auctions, especially if enough people enquire about them

Tell us what is the plate you seek, and we'll all call the DVLA and 'enquire' about it.... :)

When you check a CAR on the DVLA website, the VRM is used to identify the car. But you are checking a CAR, not a PLATE. So if the car does not exist, it does not mean that the plate does exist.

This

The car will have to be SORNed though... but if it is left to decompose in a barn with no MOT, VED, or insurance, then the DVLA won't reissue the plate.

The same applies to cars scrapped without SORN, a common practice up to around 20 years ago - but I think the nowadays offical scrapyards need to notify the DVLA when scrapping a car. This was one reason why they stopped scrapping cars for free when the cost of metal went down - the paperwork involved meant that it was no longer worth it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom