Personalised Number Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pug

Car
'92 190E 2.0 Manual
So, what do people think about buying these kind of plates as an investment?
I'm thinking of buying one for that reason myself.
The one I'm thinking of isn't name based, it's a generic one (like Paul Daniels' MAG1C), so I'm not restricted to finding a potential future buyer with the right initials or anything.

Looking at eBay's completed listings shows nothing's really selling right now but the majority of them need illegal spacing or fonts to read correctly anyway. The one I'm considering doesn't.
It's good enough that I'd put it on my own car for now but like to think it'd fetch good money if I were to put it on the market (as long as there is a good market for them).

Obviously the market's extremely depressed right now but do good ones normally tend to sell if you choose to let them go?
Opinions/experience welcome.

An often discussed topic. Do a search and many threads will be found.
General concensus of opinion seems to be, if you have the spare cash, and want to do it, then do it.
Re-spaced digits to give a name or word is not a good idea and seems to be coming under tighter scrutiny, so perhaps best avoided to be sure.
Almost anything with a single digit will always be a good bet.

I Agree, have a few on retention

Just for fun, if you have the cash there not a bad buy.

I wouldn't buy them thinking you will make money but at least you have fun with them as well (assuming you put them on a car?)

I wouldn't do it for an investment. Reason I say that is unless it's very dersireable to a wide audience, and priced cometitively, it may take ages to sell - not very liquid as far as investments go, which is fine if you never need to realise the value quickly.

I have bought several over the years, either for me or as a gift, but I only ever bought one to sell on. It did sell eventually, and I doubled my money in a space of months, but probably not worth the hassle, as it could have taken longer to sell - I had a repeat time waster, plus one bit who actually bought it.

I reckon the plate on my car has appreciated in value, and would be relatively easy to sell. The plate on my wife's car is probably worth around the same as we paid for it, as it's so specific, pretty much her first name and surname. There aren't many Doris Dazzlers about!! ;)

Last edited:
In my opinion you need to keep hold of it for a LONG time to make any money on it. Its market value will be what you pay for it now. They are valued by "experts" and priced accordingly.

What would be good if you know of a model number due to be released and buy that; ie if you knew mercedes were due to release an "S77" amg S-class you could buy "S77 AMG" fairly cheap now (just a normal AMG plate) but make a killing when the new model is released... but the chances of that are slim!

I would buy a plate that you would like yourself and use yourself. if you sell it in 3 years time and make a profit then all the better but dont bank on it.

If the plate you are interested in spells a name, then i assume its quite expensive already (and if not - why not) - how much do you need it to reach to make the investment worthwhile?

if its for fun, though - go for it.

i have a personal plate with my initials. Cost just over £1k a couple of years ago from DVLA. I doubt i would get anywhere near that if i tried to sell, with credit-crunch or not - and then i'd have to find someone with the same initials as me...

Besides Paul Daniels' well known plate , Paul McCartney had MUS1C at one time , which I guess would be worth a few bob now .

Sometimes plates with your initials can have wider appeal . Max Bygraves has had MB 1 on his Rolls-Royce for many years , Mercedes-Benz have reportedly tried to buy it on more than one occasion but he won't sell .

It doesn't always work though , Val Doonican has also got a similar number on his Rolls , but not much interest has been shown in it .

the older and rarer the plate, the more value.. ie.. single digits and letters win hands over on double digit single letter or single digit double letter.

names sell very well, todays society has a tendency to the materialistic quality of the plate opposed to outright future value

some appreciate, some dont.

as an example, my collection of plates are for sale at present.... and include the following:

prices vary between £800 - £60,000 depending on the plate ofcourse.

XX 55 AMG
B055Y XX
D11LAN
MY O5 CLS
X 121NA X
X 2RV X
2781 V

Which one of those would you sell for £60k ?

I have one, Just my intials. Didn't buy it for selling on, nor for a profit. Bought it to personalise my car and save me remembering numbers.

Have not much idea of its percieved value, due to the market really is small for people with my initials.

3 letters, 3 numbers. looks reasonable, and will no doubt cheer up whoever gets it in my will, When they sell it along with the Stief teddies I have hidden away.

Once I am gone, I don't care what they do with it. While I am here, it goes on my car and thats about it really.

I would like to see it on a Bentley Blower however. One day maybe.

D11LAN

have had offers of £25k, £35k etc but would not consider selling it for less.

Many may say its not worth that much, but its got its own intrinsic value to the right person..
other than me..

My name is Dillan

:)

D11 LAN

Dream on :rolleyes:

I'm not a private plate person myself. But of you want to buy, a recession is the time to do it, when the value of most luxuries falls.

When i had a BMW 740L saw an advert A7 LWB which i thought was a good reg for the car, when i enquired about the price they wanted £1,000 which was more than i wanted to pay.

A week later i was looking at the DVLA Reg site, put in A7 LWB and you never guess there it was for £399. So i bought it, and when i sold the car six years later the new owner didn't want to buy the reg so i rang a few BMW dealers and sold it for £2,100.

When I bought my ML, the DVLA was asking £4K for ML55AMG. I got ML05AMG instead via eBay for £200.

On the grounds that the new model is a 63, not 55, I guess the value of the plates should be similar by now? But if "The Boss" wants to offer me £60K I'll take it. I might even throw in the car, too!

Hello

plates have values which others will not understand. As per previous threads, i have rejected offers for the larger amounts, as i have no need to sell.

Yes 3k might be more acceptable to you, thats fine.. each to their own.

but i believe you are incorrect if passing judgement ie "dream on" on a basis where the plate has no value to you, so it is thus worth less to you.

I have a few others in the mkt too.. some plates have done well, some havent. Its about finding the correct buyer to the correct plate at the right time. Very hard to do, but once done, its worth the price!

I agree a plate is worth what some one will pay.

So to me D11LAN isn't worth anything

Its the XX 55 AMG type that amazes me, its only really suitable for a 55 AMG merc and whats the most expensive one you can get now? 50K ? SL55, CLS55 ? at they are all 63's now.

So who would pay 30K for the plate?

If you get anything like that I would be staggered. Dillan I can understand, but unique to a car ones.... not too sure.

Good luck though

I still cant see how DIILAN can be valued at £60k

Sure, its a good plate and will command a good price, but no where near as high as that IMO. If you've been offered £30-£40k for it then i would be very tempted!

Out of interest, how much did it cost you roughly?

My name is Derek and when i was looking for a plate, i found:

D9REK for..... £1750

i didnt get it as at the time i wanted another plate (regret not getting it though). its no longer available.

Hi AMG.

yes the current range of AMG's are 63, however, there is talk that within the next few years, these engines could be brought down in size as efficiencies gain and power output increased along with global changes in our habits, and their could be a revival of engines down at the 55 mark.. contrary to the history of the marque, these could come through.

Yes name plates have their limitations, but again, its purely personal.

I personally love the XX55 AMG and beliebe its worth more than the equivalent SL55 AMG as this can be used across the entire range of cars.

D11LAN is ofcourse very personal to me, so i have it for sale at that price, as have had significant offers from a gentleman who has an s class with the plate D1LAN, an audi A3 owner with D17LAN, a Lexus owner with D16LAN.

Also, D11LAN is an irish spelling, and have had interest from an Irish collector. but i have no dire urge to sell the plate.

MY 05 CLS is my least valued plate, currently at £750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom