Personalised Plate Advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So another thread has sparked my interest in a personalised plate... I've seen two I like at reasonable prices (nothing too fancy, a letter followed by 666 and my initials). This is quite suitable as I was born in the city of the beast, and I have a reputation for being a bit mischievious :p

First question - can I apply any plate to a motorbike? e.g. on a 52-reg motorbike, can I put something like "X 666 BOB"?

Second question - prices seem cheapest on newreg.co.uk and plates4less.co.uk; has anyone used them before?

Finally some advice; my choices for the W202 are:
J, K, L, M, N (anything newer I can't fit as I'm currently N-reg... I believe)
Should I stick with the N? None really mean anything except the M (as in Michele - but that's already at the end). Any bright ideas on which one to choose?

TIA!
Michele

i bought my first one a few months ago and found it for about £600-£700 on sites that you mentioned

i then went to dvla.com and they had it there for about £500 BUT that included all transfers & vat where as the other would make it even more

same with my mate frank, he wanted V8 then his initials, other sites upto £800, dvla £399 all in !

if your car is v 1999 then you can only have 1999 plates or younger even down to the first redg ever

i chose D for my first name the 2 as its my second mercedes

yes all plates can go on all vehicles

but check dvla first

Hello

You cannot make a car look newer than it is or bike for that matter. Any plate however assuming you are not making it look newer can be bought and put on a bike or car.

Cheapest is usually DVLA however if the combination you want has gone you may pay a premium if you find it elsewhere.

Check the price includes VAT & Transfer as this can add a reasonable amount (transfer I think is £105)

As for what to choose M is as good as any at least it means something to you.

So M666 MXX (where XX is the rest of your initials)

If you want some plates made up, www.fancyplates.com

Its a good site just to put the plate in your looking at and see what it looks like on a plate :)

also dvla will not supply the physical plates

i get mine from ebay and a pair of normal plates is about £10 inc delivery or less

i also got black n silver as im bad and they were £17 and ive had them on my car for 4 months with no problems

Thanks! I had checked the DVLA and they seemed more expensive at first. Now that you mention it, I've noticed that the other sites add £100 to the price afterwards... (£80+£20) sneaky!

DVLA works out to exactly the same price (+or- one or two pounds...) So I might as well use DVLA!

So I'm looking at
M666 PM*

(Michele is my first name, but I use it only in a "professional" context... all my friends know me by another name :p). I thought of M666MP* - which may look nicer if spaced out... but I have no intention of tweaking the spacing! Also, I'm more used to PM*...

I'm thinking the J is my best bet - when printed it flows with the curves in the 6's and being the oldest means I can fit it to a larger range of vehicles...

J666 PM* or M666 PM*...
HUMMM..... Logic be damned, M666 it is :p

Now... ideally I would also get the X666 for the motorbike :p but at £500 it's an "end of the month" type of purchase...

Anything I should be wary of or know of now that I'm going ahead on DVLA's website?

Michele
EDIT: Hmm... can't order online! I guess I'll call them tomorrow...

Last edited:
nothing at all

i got mine through in 4 days

they are lovly on the phone

i have a friend who has a professional name, she dances with poles (not the european types)

J666P M*

looks like Jeep...

My brother had something similar on his Wrangler...

IMAG1070.jpg

PMS.... is short for a couple of things...if S s the last initial?....

DVLA is / tends to be the best. Ive bought several from them and always works well. Others I have had to buy from other sources. DVLA is always a very smooth 'deal'

nothing at all

i got mine through in 4 days

they are lovly on the phone

i have a friend who has a professional name, she dances with poles (not the european types)

LOL... no, it's a long story... I'm half Italian half Indian. There is some custom in India whereby a child cannot be named until the guru looks at the stars and decides what the babies name will start with. (or something on these lines, I'm not really in touch with my Indian culture unfortunately...)

Problem is, in Italy not having a name for a baby wayyyy before he's born (especially a few years ago) was something fairly unnaceptable. Hence, I took my grandfathers name and a nickname when I was born (I have one of those long, multi-breath mediterrenean names). The nickname kinda stuck through the years... Ironically, it means something on the lines of "cute little baby" (if only they knew :p)

Michele

M666 PMT.

not too sure about that..:crazy:

Last name isn't S nor T :p I'd post the initial, but I don't like the idea of posting my full (future) licence plate on a public forum...

I've decided on the M... I'm surprised no-one else thought of this!

M.... for Mercedes!

Attached a preview... random last letter... not totally legal... but it's only the colour of the line around (Lapis Blue car) and the Logo/URL instead of the BS info... I hope it passes the MOT! (really gotta work on my site now! :p)

Are honeycombs legal? Carbon text? 3D text?

Michele ;)

Attachments

• m666pmo.JPG
    m666pmo.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
most plate places will have one listed as "road legal" as the police will pull you for anything (except me it seems, jinxed it now)

my daughter is having her friend over tonight for a sleepover (high school musical & boys talk all night) and her mum is iranian and he dad is english

her mums name is some weird iranian thing shortend to peggy and her dads surname is mitchell ....

peggy mitchell, in the words of harry hill "whats the odds on that happening"

Hello

I've yet fail an MOT with mine... its been on about 5 cars so far.

Depends on Mr MOT man I guess but the letters are easiliy readable? I went for the GB Flag as I don't like the Euro thing....;)

DSCF8383.jpg

If I have to tell you theres little point you would know :)

Funny as anyone that knows me and knows I'm in IT recognises it straight away :)

Thanks

I'm guessing Cyber...
I was looking at H4KER a few years ago; it was up at about £12,995 or so...

Just ordered my number - they (DVLA) were most helpful and even informed me that the number 666 bears an association with the devil in some cultures and asked what the 'P' was for (I'm guessing to stop me should I mis-space the plate)

Now I'm going to call them back, forgot to ask if a beehive background and 3D text are legal. Then I'll order my plates. Once I've fit them I'll pop by my MOT station (been using them since I've had a car - and my father for 20 odd years before that; so we get along quite well) and ask them if I would pass an MOT... if not, it gives me 6 months to change them ;)

Thanks for all the help!
Michele

I'm guessing Cyber...
I was looking at H4KER a few years ago; it was up at about £12,995 or so...

Just ordered my number - they (DVLA) were most helpful and even informed me that the number 666 bears an association with the devil in some cultures and asked what the 'P' was for (I'm guessing to stop me should I mis-space the plate)
I was just going to say that the DVLA is usually very helpful.

I note what some folks say about 'My car has never failed the MOT" regarding illegal type number plates but I can also say I've never been caught speeding. One of our neighbours had an illegally spaced number plate on his oldish car and for years it sailed through its MOT.. Two years ago there was a clampdown.... His numberplate is now fully legal. :)

Bottom-line is we are discussing n-um-b-e-r-p-l-a-t-e-s. They are not a piece of art, or a fashion accessory, they are a numberplate with specific measurements etc.

I like your choice of number and the joy of any plate like this is it takes away the year of manufacture.

Regards
John

Hello

I've yet fail an MOT with mine... its been on about 5 cars so far.

Depends on Mr MOT man I guess but the letters are easiliy readable? I went for the GB Flag as I don't like the Euro thing....;)

DSCF8383.jpg
Totally agree if it's legible the MOT guy would have to be pretty **** to fail it. I like you have slightly modded plates (closed spacing) on my Subaru and Puma both have never failed an MOT. Oh and speaking from a being stopped point of view if you want a tip on how to avoid the £30 ticket should you be unlucky enough to be stopped, make sure your modded plates are screwed on and get a second set of cheap leagal ones made to keep in the boot, make sure the legal ones are drilled to match the holes on the modded plate, should you get stopped you can use the " sorry officer I have left my show plates on by mistake I will change them Immediately for you" and show them the legal plates, works every time, they will tell you they can't be read by ANPR cameras which is rubbish as I have checked mine with some friends who work on traffic, not that I condone misrepresentation of number plates but a little tweak with perfectly legible numbers as above works for me and if you are that concerned you can always put the cheap leagal plates on for the MOT 2 mins work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom