Petition against rampant opportunism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

Decimated both financially and spiritually.

No - see above.

No - industry and strong unions moved out and were replaced with drugs, shit jobs and shit pay.

Incalculable to us in these communities but - to a lot of certain people - it was worth it in their small minds.

Leaving school as all this was being dismantled taught me quite a few things; there’s no longer strength in unity anymore and people only care about themselves so the best thing is to do just that - take care of me and mine - so when I see things like this I just shrug and say “plus ça change”.
But it all came good in the end didn’t it?

But having a motivated, engaged workforce is ultimately in the shareholder interest.....

But having a motivated, engaged workforce is ultimately in the shareholder interest.....

I think that the shareholders will be more worried that there is a viable ongoing business at this point.

Air travel may not recover for several years. A partial recovery leaves lot of cheap available aircraft for new entrants to take business from any any survivors that are saddled with legacy costs and not fit enough to compete.

Airlines that do not restructure quickly may well not be viable even if they survive this current phase.

In normal circumstances, the government should only rarely interfere in job losses in private companies. But I accept that these are not normal circumstances.

As I pointed-out in my previous post, my issue with this petition is that it is addressed to Boris Johnson, but it does not specify what is expected of the PM or the government.

The difficulty for me is that I might be signing for something that I do not actually want to happen.... as an example I don't want to see BA nationalised and to be told that this is in direct response to the petition I signed.

I would be happy to sign it if it stated what it is that we are asking of the government. But as things stand, it does not.

Incidentally, I can see why BA won't need all of its workforce again any time soon, given that it will take years before air travel gets back to what it used to be pre-COVID-19. But perhaps it is better for the government to support BA in keeping its surplus staff on full pay, rather than let them go, and then become dependent on unemployment benefits. Again, I would support this if it was proposed.

Please use the Politics thread if you wish to continue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom