Petition - Compulsory retesting of elderly drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All very emotive stuff but round my neck of the woods such carnage is caused by young and inexperienced drivers in the main and hardly ever, if at all, a "senior" person.

I cannot see it coming into law personally.

Until there is a restriction on new drivers/engine power/passengers/curfew/speed restrictions etc etc........I see no point, we need to tackle the highest incidence of accidents first.

Not signing,we have more accidents with young drivers coming back from Alton Towers hyped up on adrenaline from the rides.

One of my favourite jokes, me and my grandad always have a proper belly laugh when we remind each other of it;

Old Bert was driving down the motorway when his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Bert, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on A1. Please be careful!"

"Hell," said Bert, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"

All very emotive stuff but round my neck of the woods such carnage is caused by young and inexperienced drivers in the main and hardly ever, if at all, a "senior" person.

I cannot see it coming into law personally.

Until there is a restriction on new drivers/engine power/passengers/curfew/speed restrictions etc etc........I see no point, we need to tackle the highest incidence of accidents first.

Then can you please solve the problem you highlight in order that we can tackle another problem? Do we not treat other illnesses because there is still cancer?

Not signed.

I fully respect your choice not to sign R12TS.

Not signing either. You just have to look at insurance premium weightings to see at which end of the age spectrum the problem lies. Compulsory medicals for older drivers, including testing field of vision, is a thought though.

Then can you please solve the problem you highlight in order that we can tackle another problem? Do we not treat other illnesses because there is still cancer?

:confused:

Not signed.

I would sign a petition whose aim was to encourage the requirement for every driver to be retested regularly, say every five or ten years with the frequency increasing (for a set time) for any driver convicted of certain driving offences.

Well...I sat the other day outside a sheltered housing complex and watched the driver of a Focus who had 'parked' at 45deg to the kerb and with one wheel on the pavement struggle to exit his car with the aid of the two sticks he had. He must have been in his 90's and could hardly stand upright never mind walk. How could he possibly have full, or even any, proper control of that car?

I'm all for personal freedom but somewhere the line has to be drawn.

Never mind young and/or dangerous drivers...that's a separate argument totally unrelated to this petition.

Signed.

Not signed.

I would sign a petition whose aim was to encourage the requirement for every driver to be retested regularly, say every five or ten years with the frequency increasing (for a set time) for any driver convicted of certain driving offences.

Agree 100%

Asking people to sign something that will make senior people's lives harder, in a Mercedes-Benz forum?

It will never go well. ;)

Not signing either. Someone's wife was killed by 75 year old driver so he started this hare capmpaign.

How about banning female drivers as some of them try to prove they are no less aggressive than male?

How about banning all drivers under 30?

How about banning anyone who dis not achieve 5 Cs at GCSEs or even better 3 Cs at A-Level - as there is no place for stupid people on the road?

If elderly drivers are genuinely a risk insurers will take care of them by pricing premiums accordingly.

There is a definite case for more stringent tests for MEDICAL FITNESS TO DRIVE over the age of 65 and indeed a complusory annual eyesight test over the age of 45 . These are medical issues which can comfortably be separated from the more general driving test as advocated by this petition.

This shows how pointless petitions are unless they also track those who are against or "not signing". You can have one petition with 1million signatures with almost every person aware of it signing, or you can have a petition with 1miilion signatures that was well marketed, the whole country knows and only 1 million signed with the rest mildly or strongly against.

Signed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom